Zombie Hunter SlingSword

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jun 2, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I did a cooperation with James Helm, fellow Zombie Squad member, who is a blacksmith working from out of Texas.

He says about himself "Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization". I like that a lot! His blades are mostly made from steel you can harvest from truck leaf springs. He leaves the hammer marks on his blades, but sharpens the edges so you can shave the hairs of any of your body parts :)

So I asked him if he would be interested in a cooperation. He said yes! It took about one year to happen.

I wanted a short sword, ideal for short distance fighting, but powerful enough to chop Zombie heads of with ease. He finally made this blade for me:

[​IMG]

I decided to also use scrap material, that can be found in a post apolcalyptic world, so the final weapon would look like the weapon of a post Zombie pandemic survivor and warrior.

I started with these parts:

[​IMG]

I went for a hilt that looks intimidating and bad ass, and retains the powerful but homemade look.

This is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I made the sheath, from plywood of course (three layers of 6mm). I settled for a stiff harness, so the sword can be drawn with one hand.

I attached three layers of TBG, for secure Zombie killing power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will do a video later today!

2. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very cool!!

4. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Very nice Blade!
    Maybe you could try to Weld the Fork and cover the Screws to bring a medieval look, but a really nice Design :D

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't want medieval, I want post apokalypse. Think Mad Max! Screws are totally OK for this kind of look.

6. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Awesome I cant wait for the video :) Also its incredible what art you can do, from a bunch of scraps :)

7. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Holy S...that Blade looks so fantastic!
    How legal is a "sharp" blade over here and is shipping problematic?

8. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow, that is awesome! It looks super baddass with those nails, cant wait to see the video!

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The blade (in fact the whole sword) is totally legal in Germany. But you can not carry it in public without a reason, just like any knife with a fixed blade that is longer than 12cm.

Shipping is easy, but you have to pay the VAT and tarriffs. Calculate 45 Euros for the shipping, 19% VAT and 2-3% tarriffs. Hand forged blades aren't cheap, though. This one is 5160 steel, triple hardened, triple normalized.

10. Holly scr....!
    Nice Swordblade!
    I take my head off!
    Nice work, but I don't like the spikes at the Handle protection!
    It's my personaly meaning.

Nice work!
    Nice result!

Joe

11. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This sword is ingenious!!
    I wonder if you will test it on the zombie-skull from ZombieGoBoom or ballistic gelatin.
    Am I the only one who wants to see Jörg in a post-apocalyptic survival movie? :)

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Don't forget that I run an entertainment channel. Mean looks are important. Of course the entire hilt is removable and can be replaced with a much more conventional one.

13. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

very nice, reminds me of a roman gladius.

14. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

@Tyson No it doesn't. It closely resembles a celtic shortsword. The gladius would have a stiffer shape and transition to tip.

Wow that's a beautiful sword. A little short for zombie fighting in my opinion because I'd want to stay a little farther back. Just my preference.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Wanimator, a short sword has the advantage that you can draw it far quicker than a long sword. Zombie combat means lots of surprise attacks.

16. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

@MR Sprave. Thanks for that advice. But I don't know if that converted me yet. I still don't like the idea of being less than arms length or more away from the zombie. But during a surprise attack it would be near ideal, but I would go for this knife my friend made for me during a surprise attack. An even shorter weapon, It's so fun to smash stuff with that knife it's awesome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  17. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

18. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I second Saderath.

Also I like the spikes!

19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice blade! I can only imagine the hours of happy mischief such a thing would provide. Nice touch with those nails also, looks very nasty.

20. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Scavenging the wreckage of civilization, post apocalypse, Mad Max, mean looks… I love it! Yes, I think you accomplished that look quite nicely. I certainly wouldn't get in your way if I saw you coming with that, laughing…

I like that the maker left the fire scales on. I think a primitive looking blade is a thing of beauty. Really looking forward to seeing the video that you are planning.
    [​IMG]