Zinc alloy slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 3bears, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 3bears

3bears New Member

just a quick one for the more learned members of the forum....<br><br>I've noticed that DanKung have been very quick and hard in their blasting of 'knock off' zinc alloy slingshots, ones being sold as 'stainless steel' (I've tested my genuine DanKungs, also advertised as SS only one of which is strongly magnetic, the rest are pretty weak ergo whilst containing some steel are alloy themselves!) that they are very dangerous and are likely to fracture at a fork resulting in terrible injruy.<br><br>while I can appreciate the desire of a company to preserve it's product line, and discourage counter fitting- are these alloy slingshots as bad as they are made out to be? I mean unless you're banding them up with speargun tubing, or 6 bands per fork of TBG I cant really see them breaking in the way described.<br><br>so are they really that dangerous or is this a bit of scaremongering ? has anyone actual experienced, or heard of a fork fracture outside of the DanKung website?

2. gamekeeper john

gamekeeper john New Member

Thanks for posting, some stainless steel can be none magnetic, i dont know why the reason is but i have read a couple of posts else were regarding this, also i own a couple of the "cheap" zinc alloy copies, and to be honest they are great with light target bands, i have tried to break one myself and they are very strong, in my opinion unless you are shooting a very heavy bandset they are "ok" but to be on the safe side keep in mind that zinc could break at any time, to be honoest i think you get what u pay for with catapults, if u buy cheap ones u risk the chance of a badly made cast frame breaking, if you pay the little extra you get a well built solid frame -- gamekeeper john

3. petersonOD

petersonOD New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>gamekeeper john wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">Thanks for posting, some stainless steel can be none magnetic, i dont know why the reason is but i have read a couple of posts else were regarding this, also i own a couple of the "cheap" zinc alloy copies, and to be honest they are great with light target bands, i have tried to break one myself and they are very strong, in my opinion unless you are shooting a very heavy bandset they are "ok" but to be on the safe side keep in mind that zinc could break at any time, to be honoest i think you get what u pay for with catapults, if u buy cheap ones u risk the chance of a badly made cast frame breaking, if you pay the little extra you get a well built solid frame -- gamekeeper john</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>Makes sense. I mean, Genuine Dankungs aren't even that expensive to begin with right? I think you get a great product for the money. <br><br>With that zinc one, maybe give it a generous wrapping in duct tape if you are nervous about it breaking. If it does break, hopefully the tape will keep it from flying at your face. :alien: </span>

4. 3bears

3bears New Member

<tr><td class="quote">Thanks for posting, some stainless steel can be none magnetic, i dont know why the reason is but i have read a couple of posts else were regarding this, also i own a couple of the "cheap" zinc alloy copies, and to be honest they are great with light target bands, i have tried to break one myself and they are very strong, in my opinion unless you are shooting a very heavy bandset they are "ok" but to be on the safe side keep in mind that zinc could break at any time, to be honoest i think you get what u pay for with catapults, if u buy cheap ones u risk the chance of a badly made cast frame breaking, if you pay the little extra you get a well built solid frame -- gamekeeper john</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>thanks for that John, I've been wondering about that, it's just you seem to be able to pick up the zinc nasties for a couple of quid, where as the dankungs cost a good 4-5 times that. it also made me wonder about stiff like the old milbros and cast tin slingshots I wonder if there were any knock off's floating around in the day that caused a similar problem?<br><br>though to be honest now I'm tempted to get myself a zinc alloy just to break, and to see just how flakey they really are!<br><br>oh errr been checking ebay too... any pocket rocket 3s ready soon lol?</span>

5. gamekeeper john

gamekeeper john New Member

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>3bears wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>thanks for that John, I've been wondering about that, it's just you seem to be able to pick up the zinc nasties for a couple of quid, where as the dankungs cost a good 4-5 times that. it also made me wonder about stiff like the old milbros and cast tin slingshots I wonder if there were any knock off's floating around in the day that caused a similar problem?<br><br>though to be honest now I'm tempted to get myself a zinc alloy just to break, and to see just how flakey they really are!<br><br>oh errr been checking ebay too... any pocket rocket 3s ready soon lol?</span>
    </td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br><br><br>lol, i tried to break a zinc alloy scorpion catty, i put it in the vise and shot at it with lead and steel balls, all traveling around 250fps - 300fps, all as it did was bend lol, so i got the hammer on it and it took a few minutes of hammering before it broke lol, i'm more than sure a cast alloy catapult or a g10 catapult would have vroke sooner? but i'll let u make your own mind up lol. i will have me pocket rocket 3's back on the weekend, i list 20 of each of my designs at a time and they all sell within the first 5 days lol, then i spend the next 5 days making 20 x pocket rockets, 20 x pocket poachers, 20 x demons, 20 x target shooters and 20 x poachers friends, thats the reason i have none on there some times because i sell about 100 in less than a week lol, i end them so i can catch up, i'v had a couple of people who help me but to be honest they wasn't sanding the cattys good enough so i told them they had to go lol, i would rather sell a few less and know that they are all finished the way i want them lol, i have my girlfriend trained up on my elastic rig so i dont have 2 make bands anymore, hopefully soon i will find someone who works hard to help me then i will have them forsale all the time -- gamekeeper john</span>

6. 3bears

3bears New Member

<tr><td class="quote"> i have my girlfriend trained up on my elastic rig so i dont have 2 make bands anymore, hopefully soon i will find someone who works hard to help me then i will have them forsale all the time -- gamekeeper john</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>lol I wish just wish I had my Mrs that well trained mate!<br><br>I saw one on your FB group with holes drilled for taking looped bands as well as the conventional over the top TB, was that a one off?</span>