Yew Betrayed Me!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Cubanizm, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

That's right, yew betrayed me...

I came upon a beautiful small piece of piece of yew.

I have always wanted a long or short bow made out of yew; but decided that during the interim, I would settle for a slingshot.

Yew is a beautiful wood (nice reds & grain) and not too easy to come about in my area...

I was so excited & had so many plans for it. It looked like a perfect piece but as my luck will have it, it is full of deep cracks in the fork areas... :(

The only possibility is to salvage the lower end of the cutting which measures about 6+ inches ( 15-16 cm ) and use it as a palm swell on a future project.

Does anyone readily have access to yew in their respective countries/ areas?

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Sorry to hear about the cracks! However, many people successfully fill them by using a blend of epoxy and sawdust from the piece. This may save your project

Love the title of the thread, by the way!

3. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

Thanks Will! I find that a little humor makes the best out of the most unfortunate of situations... EXECPT at funerals! Humor & funerals are a recepie for disaster...

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^
    Ha! Well, I am wandering off topic here, but at my uncle's funeral, this little mousy funeral director stepped too close to the edge of the grave, which was hidden by a sheet of fake grass. It was a classic 'pit trap,' he went all the way to the bottom of the grave and was extremely unhappy by his predicament. We got him out, but he couldn't stop crying!:D

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Cubanizm, not sure about yew but I've had luck with the epoxy method on manzanita with deep cracks. when it dries try to break it by pulling it apart along the line of the crack, if it wont break its good to go. manzanita is really hard though.

6. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

Will:

I am not one to laugh at anyone else's misfortune but I can not help but find humor in the whole scenario...

At least no one attempted to calm the funeral director by stating out loud: "Hey! Stop crying. Look at the bright side. At least you are not dead..." (insert dead-silence )