yet another injury!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kohlqez, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

So today I decided I'd shoot my slingshot with some bone crushers. First time I've ever hit my hand, it's not broken (I think) it it is pretty swollen and I can't really grip anything too well with my left hand so no shooting for a while. I've attached some pictures for your perusal, just in case you've ever wondered what a bone crusher hand hit looks like.
    A little hard to see in the pics, it's about the size of a peanut with the shell

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

When I saw the thread title, I thought, 'If this is from Kohlqez, I'm gonna hire someone in Florida to slap him!' But when I saw the pics, the El Camino was in the background, so I decided to forgive him... for now.

-Wild Bill

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I was expecting an injury. No blood, no injury! Have mom put a snoopy bandaid on it and you're good to go;). How does one hit their hand anyway? Hasn't happened to me. Badly shaped ammo? Wrong ammo band combo? Anyone know?

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Every hand hit I have had was the result of a combination of tipping the forks too far forward and drawing the pouch too far below the plane of the tips.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks for explaining this. I've been curious as to why and how it can happen.

6. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Man that hurts. Happened to me when I was testing brazilvikings slingshot that I finish for the trade. I was happy. Only because I did not get a fork hit! But be carefully man. As I remember after fifteen minutes it was fine, but I was hit on the thumb with 3/8 steel. It deffinetly left a mark!

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Well dolo I was shooting a sling with a very low fork and one of the biggest bone crushers I have

Attached Files:

8. rock slinger

That was the one I sent you! Hahah
    I must be the devil.
    My fork left you fith injuries and now my gift. Hahah.

9. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

You might want to use marshmallows in place of bone crushers for a few days:D

10. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

I found a solution for this problems. Here is it... :)
    [​IMG]

11. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Wow no wonder they call you accident prone. And that slingshot was way to small for bone crusher ammo. I am glad that bone crusher ammo didn't actually crush your bones.
    And the glove looks great it will suit you well.

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

We cant see so muh on these photos because the sun is infront of the camera, probably. Take care man.

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That's exactly what I thought! :) Lucky that wasn't worse, still not pleasant though. I almost hit my hand the other day, it's easier than it looks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

It's not so bad, after a nights sleep and just touching it out and flexing hand some I feel fine. A nasty bruise on my hand but definitely not the worst I've had.
    I will admit though I have some mixed feelings of gratitude and disappointment about the bone crushers not crushing bone. I'm going to attribute it to the short acceleration space and luck. I'm confident if I hit a knuckle directly I would have broken it. And that oddly makes me feel a bit better...

15. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Oh man that looks bad! Hopefully you will be able to live a normal life again some years from now! :D
    sry I think this really hurt! Interesting slingshot by the way!

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've had 2 hand strikes since I started shooting slingshots again last year. Each time it was using odd-shaped ammo, and each time, it was heavy ammo, possibly too heavy for the bands I was using. I've never had a hand strike with regular, round ammo, no matter what size. Fork hits, yes, but no hand strikes. My recommendation is until you have more experience getting consistent shots it might be best to avoid those nasty ammo loads, and when you do use them, wear a well padded glove.

17. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm fine now. after I sort of decided it would have to hurt more to be broken, I just sort of used it like I normally would. It hurt a bit for a while but when you're as accident prone as I am you build up a considerable pain threshold. Now it's just a bruise. It was more scary than anything, my hand swelled to the size it was in the pics instantly.
    As for the slingshot, I'm glad you like it. I got it in a trade from rockslinger. I think it's a Bill Hay's Ring Finger Hunter that he made out of some thick flattened pvc. I still have no idea how he got it so flat but it's a great shooter provided you're more careful than me.

18. rock slinger

It is actually. MJ's little big shooter. And I flattened it with a heat gun two boards and clamps it is really simple actually.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBU4zPkKm0A[/ame]

Her is MJ's video on it

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

The hand hits that got me were always when odd ammo flipped up in the pouch.
    This was always from a bad release for me. A pouch that was too short between ties contributed also.

Now there is always a thick layer of bootleather in-between me and edgy ammo.

What are your favorite things to destroy with that ammo?

Glad your hand wasn't worse.

20. noah013

noah013 Member

I've got 2 hand hits right after each other a few weeks ago. That hurted pretty bad..

I'm glad you're OK now.