Yet another eucalyptus shooter

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Well the last couple of days have been fairly productive for me, I've just finished a few projects that will be appearing in the next couple of days but for the moment I present you with one I made at the start of the week.

This particular fork had some damage when I harvested it. So after the initial shaping I made the face flat using my new belt sander.
    Unfortunately this revealed a little more damage further in, the fork was strong enough after testing in the vice but i sanded the damage of leaving me with a wedge of wood missing from the grip.
    I decided to glue a piece of Oregon (Douglas Fir) into the missing wedge's spot and shape. Not wanting to leave the end plain I glues a lovely and dark piece of jarrah as an end-cap and shaped.

This is the result after BLO and wax treatment

Here's the front
    [​IMG]

The Back
    [​IMG]

And side profile
    [​IMG]

The end cap is very dark, as you turn it over you see so many hues of Red, Maroon and Purple right down to black.

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great work! very nice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Nice and solid traditional shooter:)

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If you hadn't told me that you were trying to repair damage to the fork using that Doug Fir, I would have assumed you were just being 'artistic'. The 'patch' looks really nice, as does the endcap. The overall shape of the fork is really great. I like that it's kind of narrow and a bit compatct, makes it easily pocketable . Really nice piece of work.

5. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Nice. Really elegant.

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

A really nice slingshot!

Well done!

greetings,

Be

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks guys!

Thanks Withak, the artistic thought process eludes me more often than not. I hadnt even considered doing something like thay for looks alone, I might now though.
    Its size does make it really easy to slip in a pocket, and it lends itself to a few different grip styles, It comfortably sits in my hand for pinch grip, thumb support and hammer grip no problems.

Thank you all so much!

8. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

9. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

When I first started wood carving my friend told me it is not how bad you mess up, it is how well you recover:D sometimes when you work with wood it tends to have other ideas than you do, but I really think you recovered well in spite of the woods ideas. Great job

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I was heading to the bottom of the page to say the same thing.:D

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Snader hit the nail on the head - elegant.

Very nice work :)

12. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Great work my friend! Really awesome!