Yes, it is possible to light a match with your slingshot!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Bill Hays, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Bill Hays

Bill Hays New Member

The other night I was practicing shooting at matches and lo and behold one of them lit up! So I knew it was possible after that... the trick would be to get it on video. So here's what I got:<br><br><embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HB36mCdniXU" width="425" height="350" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" quality="high" scale="exactfit"></embed>

2. JayG

JayG New Member

Just how old are your matches? I've not seen strike anywhere matches in ages, and didn't think it was possible to do that with the 'strike on box' matches because it needs the striker for the reaction. Or do they still sell strike anywhere matches down there? If so, I want a box or two!!

3. Bill Hays

Bill Hays New Member

eBay, Penley strike anywhere matches. Shooting them out of a bb gun about 1/4 will spark up a bit. In the old days about 90% of the strike anywheres would burst into fire, not just spark up. <br><br>As you can see on the video it takes an absolutely perfect shot to light these modern strike anywhere matches. If these were the old Ohio Blue Tips, or the like, more than half the shots shown would have been successful light ups. Ahhh the good ole days when you used to be able to throw down even half assed aimed shots and fire up a match... that used to be one of the funnest shots to do and it really did impress people...

4. Kyl

Kyl New Member

Great shooting, Tex!<br><br>I've got several old boxes of strike-anywhere matches that must be at least 15 years old. They have lost a bit of there pizzazz but I have found that if you dry then out they work better. If the humidity is high they are harder to strike. In the winter when the wood stove dries out the house they seem to strike a bit more easily. <br><br>It would be cool to see a video of shooting flies or some other noxious insect pest from an impressive distance. Stink bugs, Japanese beetles, wasps, or scorpions. I've seen video of Rufus Hussy (RIP) shooting Japanese beetles off a leaf. <br><br>We used to shoot carpenter bees out of the air with a BB-gun, as they hovered near a bee hole, under the eave of the house. We might have hit 1 in 20 tries, or less. That was shooting from about 10 feet away.<br><br>I bet I can hit a fly from twenty paces. <br><br>Not really, except maybe with a gun.

5. JayG

JayG New Member

Kyl, I used to do the same thing when I was a kid. My eyes ain't that good anymore. <br><br>Bill, I hate having to buy something like that on ebay, I miss the old strike anywhere style match. I was hoping one of the stores down there still sold them, I would get a few boxes next time I was in the Dallas area. My brother lives right up the road from you a little ways in the Parker/Richardson area.

6. Kyl

Kyl New Member

Strike-any-where matches are classified as a "Dangerous Good" by Haz-Mat. It seems that in some U.S. states you can buy strike-any-wheres at the grocery store and in some you can't. <br><br>The Wiki article on matches is quite interesting.

7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I wouldn't hit a fly with a canon. I have no idea how you guys aim so well.

8. JayG

JayG New Member

I found out from a friend that a local ACE hardware store sells strike anywhere matches now. Glad you shot that video or I would have never known. ( I showed him your video, and said that I had tried to find strike anywhere matches before and couldn't. He told me ACE started carrying them a while ago. sure enough, they had some) I had eye surgery a year and a half ago and lost my "target sight" afterwards. I picked up a slingshot a few months ago trying to improve my aim, and it's starting to come around slowly, just have to teach my "new" eyes how to do it. maybe sometime next year I'll be able to light matches with it! I used to be able to pick off .22 shells on the top of the 25 yard pistol backstops at the shooting range, right now I'd be lucky to hit beer cans at that range. It changed my depth view that much.

9. Bill Hays

Bill Hays New Member

I'll tell you what, when I finished Art School my eyesight was suffering from staring to intently at brightly lit layouts up close... the light table and printing masking/materials were the absolute worst on me.<br><br>My normal eyesight is 20/15 but after Art School it was 20/25. One of my Uncles is a doctor who specializes in the ears, nose and throat, but has a lot of experience with eyes as well... he suggested a couple of real simple eye exercises that helped me to regain my eyesight.<br><br>One of the simplest and most effective exercises is also one of the easiest. All you have to do is open two regular paperback books and read one from about 5 feet away (or closer if your eyesight is really bad) and the other from about a foot away... Read a sentence from one book then immediately read a sentence from the other switching back and forth for about 15 minutes a day. After you can read them both easily from that distance move the further away book to a point where it's difficult to read about 1/4 of the words easily... read from there 15 minutes a day until you CAN read it all easily... then move it further away and repeat. Once you can read the books fairly easily from 10 feet away... you're all set. Never do this for more than 15 minutes a day, but do it EVERY day until your eyes are strong.<br><br>This method is so easy and works so well most doctors won't even tell you about it as there's simply no money to gained and how in the world would you be able to fill out a 200 page self help book with it either.

10. JayG

JayG New Member

Well, that would work if I still had my natural lenses in my eyes. I had rapidly developed cateracts and had both lenses replaced. ( I completely lost vision in my left eye) What changed my depth view was a secondary operation to correct a bad astigmatism. I went my whole life having to look through strong glasses to correct it, after my operations I've got 20/40 without glasses, but no focus for up close at all without glasses. The astigmatism correction is what really did it though, everything looks totally different, distance judgement is really off now. That throws off my aim unless I am looking through a scope, which I don't usually use. Not too bad with a gun, but a bow or a slingshot, forget it! I have to re-learn how to 'see' my targets now because I've always shot half instinctive and half aiming. Hard to explain, but it sounds like you probably shoot the same way.