Yeah... Another wood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Any ideas I found it, it was completely dry when I found it ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1390627117.292558.jpg
    It's extremely hard, my scroll saw has a lot if trouble with it, and I don't want to risk breaking my saw so how should I cut it, completely tore my coping saw blade apart

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Put a fresh blade on and take your time. Patience, Slingmaking gives One Padwan.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

What a chunker! Larger size skip tooth blades may help too but like Flipgun said, take it easy and let the saw work.

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

But does anyone know what wood it is

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

No idea here... Google it!..JK But it may help to look back to your source.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Looking at the bark and the wood colour and reading your info about it being very hard, there is a chance this is a beech fork, but without any other information like how the leaves look it is hard to say.

A hard wood can be cut going slowly, and using a larger size skip tooth blade like mentioned by Flipgun and Ravensbull.

Have fun working with it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

No idea what kinda wood that is, do you have a better pic of the bark or maybe some leaves?

8. Shamus03

Shamus03 New Member

Maybe use a power sander or a large grinder? You could probably use a thick dremel after cutting a rough shape out.

9. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I don't own any of those except for the grinder but I don't have a cutting wheel

10. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

You can try making straight relief cuts. Come in straight from the side with about 1/4" gap in between cuts. Then try cutting the shape of the SS. Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

4" angle grinder with a flapper disc (pearl disc, tiger paw, whatever you want to call the damn thing). Watch the excess wood go bye bye!

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

How big is your angle grinder? If it's a 4 1/2" I can send you a dew wheels with your sling

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I suspect that this fork is a Box Elder, but without more of the bark or a better grain pattern to view it's hard to nail down.

-Wild Bill

14. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Not really sure what all types of trees grow in SoCal, but you sure have a nice piece of whatever it is. Just use what you have to use and do it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time:D no hurry. Looks like you have a real good start on it already. Keep up the good work.

15. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Yeah this wood tore my scroll saw blade apart, and this is a brand new blade ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1390760637.779865.jpg