The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to taper some of the rubber Be gave me, but I can't find a roll cutter, only found an X-Acto knife. If it's really sharp, would it work?

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
NO ! short answer, long answer, rubber will tend to stick and fold as you cut with it, the key for roller cutter is an "almost" vertical cut ...
Arturo

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I guess I'll keep searching for a roll cutter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No I will not work, I have tried it however if you really want to try with that, u shud cover the entire piece with tape so it overlaps both sides and both ends then cut, there's a video online, how to cut bands without a roller cutter- check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
+2

using anything other than roller cutter will result in a kind of saw teeth edge on your rubber (caused by the blade gripping the rubber until the force cuts through) thus making chances of it failing into your eye all the more possible....

i wouldnt suggest using scissors, but a big pair would give better results than a knife...

i say long as in if you can acurately cut (in 1 snip) your bands from scissors then it in theory would work, with scissors its the multiple snips that cause problems...

you can try a guillotine for cutting paper...

i picked one up for about 4 quid (should have used it yesterday)
just make sure you choose one with rotating blade and not a fixed blade...

i cant think of any better ways of cutting rubber without a rotor cutter...

hope this helps

Luke

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
I agree with Arturo and Joerg. I would strongly recommend investing in a roller cutter if you can get one (they're only about $10 USD in the states, not so sure about Israel). I've tried the sharpest of knives and razors and have had bad results every time. The roller cutter really does the job - no jagged edges, no folding, it just works well. Just don't do what theDaddy187 did and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I scored a roller paper cutter today (I'll post pics when I get home). It's even better than just a hand-held roller cutter.

-Wild Bill

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
...it's already been said.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
If you have access to a drill you could sharpen a big washer and turn it into a roll cutter.
Nah. Washers are, for the most part, too thick, not the right metal to hold or take a sharp enough edge. Don't bother. Sorry Piet :)

I think the correct answer would be you can, but a roller is much better. It's the micro and some not-so-micro tears that make a knife cut less durable than a smooth, sharp roller cut. A razor blade would be better than an X-acto blade as it's thinner ad more finely sharpened, but still not as good as rollering.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On a safety note, use a cutting mat. The cutting of bands on your leg can result in serious injury!:D

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a safety note, use a cutting mat. The cutting of bands on your leg can result in serious injury!:D
I was going to do it on my groin, but okay. :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Before I got a wheel I used a razor blade with pretty good results, the trick is to cut in a tub of water to lubricate the knife blade. I clamped the rubber between two pieces nylon board so the top one was a guide and the bottom served as the mat. It worked ok till I got the right stuff which is ten times easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts