Wrist flip, necessary or not?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BoyntonStu, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

When you make an Xbow slingshot, there is no flip (unless you build a spring loaded one in) like with a hand held slingshot.

Question: When does the flip become necessary, if at all?

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I have seen some one shoot a slingshot out of a vice. I beleive a pfs, and no fork hits were receive. Just turn the pouch and you should be fine. But it come natrally for me.

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Arturo Borquez is the PFS maestro, and he does speak of the wrist flip. Joerg also describes the wrist flip with a pickle shooter in a recent video (I forget which one), but it is the PFS where said flip is mentioned.

-Wild Bill

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

In jorg's tactical knife slingshot he talks about flipping the wrist

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Usually applied to very low forks.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Flips are only necessary with sticks and PFS

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Flipping is just one way to avoid fork hits and hand slaps. There are other ways too. You can avoid fork hits altogether by just employing very clean release techniques (a fork hit would in any case never hit your target even if you would have a very wide fork). You can twist the pouch and use your thumb as a ramp. You can shoot through the fork to reduce hand slaps. You can shoot shield protected frames to avoid hand slaps. Many ways.

Flipping adds safety. For beginners, flipping combined with pouch twisting usually leads to zero fork hits. After 200 trouble free shots with paint/powder balls, they are ready to move up to steel ammo.

The more narrow and low your fork is, the higher your need for safety may be. So I recommend both flipstyle AND pouch twisting if you shoot very narrow and low forked frames.

BTW, on very strong non braced slingshots, flipping happens automatically. When you release, the draw weight goes down to zero in an instant, so the wrist flips forward if you want it or not.

8. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I will try to summarise my experience with the PFS, three kinds of flip:
    1) active flip, means the frame start to "rotate" during band retraction, PROS: eliminate fork hits and slaps, CONS: inaccurate or wider grouping.
    2) passive flip, means the frame start to "rotate" at the end of band retraction (the ammo has passed over the fork tips when flip begins), PROS: eliminate slaps and better predictable accuracy CONS: possibility of fork hits due to the late flip.
    3) two stage flip (the technique I use) with the "lazy grip", means a small radius fork "rotation" over index/thumb pivot axis during retraction (needs sharp or rounded fork tips in thicker frames to clear the ammo path) combined by a passive wrist flip as in 2), PROS: same accuracy as in 2), less chance for a fork hit, CONS: can be used reliably to less than 10kg pull (because of finger support)

to eliminate (almost) completely the fork hits turning 90° helps but the "thumb ramp" is determinant, now the 90° turn with the "thumb ramp" (turn and tweak/bend) introduce a bias deviation that you can learn to deal with, with practice make it predictable enough and accurate with small targets ...
    cheers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  9. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Bill Hays has a good video about flip styles vs. what he calls static shooting also.