Would this work?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by AngelicScars, Nov 23, 2013.

1. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Unless your using one of joergs zombie slayers it will be fine, your pretty pink scout wouldn't topple that by itself.
    I'd maybe put something heavy on the feet of it, like a sandbag or a bag of potting mix etc, so an errant breeze or animal (my dogs like to walk in front of my catchbox and push it around while I'm shooting) dont disturb it.

3. AngelicScars

Oh no, I didn't think my slingshot could do anything to it, but that's not the only one I'm going to have. ;)
    I was thinking about stabilizing it that way too. Thanks!

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Jen, you can use a cardboard box and hang a doubled up beach towel inside. I use this setup for 10mm steel with no issues. when the towel gets a bit shredded just add another towel.

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

It kind of seems like a large fixture to have around when you aren't shooting.

In my back yard I just have a clothesline with a mover's blanket hanging from it to do the same purpose.

A neat idea for spots where you can't hang rope up on anything.

+1 Should work great with weight on the bottom.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's not a bad idea if you've got the space for it. I like PVC because it's so easy to work with, it's inexpensive and light weight. I've been using a large storage tote, laying on its side and lined with a blanket as a catchbox lately - it works well and a lot of folks will have something like that available to them. It's also portable. I've been thinking about building something like that PVC frame, but doing it in such a way that certain joints in the structure won't be glued together, allowing me to disassemble it for storage or for transporting it. My design plan was also to incorporate 2 braces running at a 45 degree angle on the back side for a little more stability. I've got enough room outside that I could actually leave the PVC frame outdoors and just hang the backing material and targets when I need them.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was thinking of using a couple of small tent stakes to stabilize the one I want to build - something you could easily pull up when you want to move it, but wouldn't add a lot of extra weight if you wanted to transport it somewhere. If you don't need to move it, you can always add some sand right into the PVC tubing on the lower half of the unit to add some ballast without having to worry about a sandbag, etc. deteriorating on you - I've used some sandbags in the past that didn't last in the weather.

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

It´s a nice construction, but Mike broughtit to the point:
    a movers blanket hanging from a clothesline is just all you need.
    Adding a bucket, where the blanket ends in to collect the ammo,
    you are just perfectly fine!- And the "biggest danger"- wind is
    neutralized by taking the blanket indoors with you when finished..

All supposing you have a garden.. (which I don´t)..

Greetings to your place,
    including the pink beauty
    (not to mention a booty) ;)

Be

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a neat idea if, as you said, it could carry the load of a towel or blanket for a backstop. It's nice because it quickly sets up and easily breaks down when you're done. I've got a couple of photo reflectors that use a similar design for collapsing and storage, it's nice.

11. AngelicScars

I didn't think about using a cardboard box or things like that lying around the house.

For the PVC, could I just shorten to maybe 2-3 feet to make it smaller? To be clear, I have a fenced in backyard with room to shoot. I have a shed I can store the catchbox when I'm not using it. :)

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's the nice thing about the PVC - you can easily reduce the scale of that design to fit your needs. And the fully assembled unit would be easy to move around.

There are a couple of different catch box ideas in this thread, including a slightly different take on that PVC design:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/show-you-catch-boxes-30848/index3.html

13. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Almost anything will work.

Start by drapeing a towel or sheet or pillowcase over a string and shoot it a few times.

Then take a few days to figure out if you want a permanent shoot box, or a portable one.

Mine is a 40 gallon garbage can with the front cut out. City switched us to a single new fancy, auto pickup can, so I had 3-4 of these laying around.

[​IMG]

14. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Everything Slingshots!

I have been using the one in the video attached for several years. I never had a problem with it until Joerg attempted to use it to catch his world record slingshot attempt... he blew holes through the back of it! Outside of that, it is really handy. I can put all my targets and gear in it, throw it in the garage or truck, and have everything I need to shoot in one compact box.

Check out the instructional [ame="http://youtu.be/YBYJbGvUrUs"]video here[/ame]

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Charles on the other forum has one very much like this and he shoots lead and beach rocks into his.

16. AngelicScars

If I had a form of transportation at the moment, I would have already been to the hardware store and started building this. I'm antsy. :p

17. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

I´ll think in an realy old threat someone in this forum bild it and he was realy satisfied with it. He tould just thats it a little susceptible for wind
    so maybe on windy days you have to weight down it. but looks good! I´ll think it will worke fine.