Wood type?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Nov 22, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I don't know where it was collected, but it kinda looks like a type of Eucalyptus. Where was it found?

-Wild Bill

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Species=Wood. Genera=Stick. Evolved Form=Slingshot.;)

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Wild bill, I went over a friends house and picked it up from the pile of wood he was getting rid of

5. WildBill

That really doesn't help. Can you at least tell me what country and/or state it was found in? Perhaps the hemisphere at least? Since it was in a wood pile I can't expect you to know the leaf type but certain types of trees grow in certain regions on the planet. Without knowing where on the planet this wood was found it makes it that much harder to figure out the species.

-Wild Bill

6. WildBill

Heh. He's being elusive about where it's from but it does look like Eucalyptus- which is a very soft and oily wood. If that's what it is then it wouldn't be very ideal for a slingy- Koala's like to eat it but that's about all it's good for.

-Wild Bill

7. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Southern California
    San diego

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

9. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

10. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

need more input, more data

11. WildBill

It's Eucalyptus. Those are almost like weeds in Southern California- they're everywhere and useless.

-Wild Bill

12. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Is it sting enough for a carved slingshot

13. WildBill

It is NOT sycamore, it is Eucalyptus. Sycamore does not grow in Southern California- it's too dry. Eucalyptus is all over SoCal and the bark on that fork is most definitely Euk. Eucalyptus is an oily, soft wood that was planted in SoCal back in the 'teens by the orange farmers as a wind block for their orchards. It's gone rampant since then and is a pest tree to many.

Eucalyptus is probably not a good choice for a slingshot as it is a soft, brittle wood that wouldn't handle too much stress.

-Wild Bill

14. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Hey thanks a lot for your input