Wood for slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by gabrielgustavovieira, Jan 7, 2014.

1. gabrielgustavovieira

gabrielgustavovieira New Member

Hi!

I'd like to make the Rambone slingshot. So, I have lots of cinnamon wood (a very strong wood) at home and I was thinking in use it for make my slingshot, but in the tutorial video that Joerg shows how to do it, he says that you need to use plywood. May I use any other wood that is strong?

Thanks, Gabriel.

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

3. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Did some searching on the web and found out that Baltic Birch Plywood recommended for Rambone has a Janka hardness rating of ~1100 while the Cinnamon wood(sassafras) is only ~630. It's not as strong as the Baltic Birch plywood. Cheers!

4. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I used aluminum for a core on mine with cheep plywood, oak and poplar for the palm swells. But it looks cool and with a strong core you can use different woods and make a wonderful shooter. You can see the different wood and the metal core in this pic. I shoot it every day and i love it.

5. beaverIII73

Attached Files:

6. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Hi Beaver! Where do you buy the aluminum core and which tool do you use to cut it? Cheers!

7. beaverIII73

Any hardware store. I use a peace of 1 1/2' X 1/8" flat-stock. I cut three peaces out and laminated the plywood to it. Then cut and filed the hole thing into shape. This is how I laid out the flat-stock. I pulled tested it I a vice and it held up.

Attached Files:

8. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Beaver! I thought it's a one piece aluminum which could be stronger than 3 separate ones. What do you use to cut the aluminum? Or you just file it to shape? :D

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Aluminum can be cut with wood tools, you just need some
    patience (give the saw the time to "take" the material) to
    not heaten up the metal. Al melts at 650°C, and will become
    smeary before (fill up files aso)...

Greetings,

Be

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. beaverIII73

Just as Be said. I use mostly a coping saw with different blades and take it slow.

11. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Doesn't using three unconnected pieces defeat the purpose of using the metal sheet as a core?

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Are you planning on using a fork? If you use a fork you're safe to go! Natural forks are really strong. If you are using a board where the grain runs in just one direction i would advise using a core, the technique showed with flat stock could work but a solid piece works a lot better and is safer. Have a look at the scrap yard, or try ro find an old road sign, those are made from aluminium too :)

13. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thank you Be!