Wonderful Christmas Gift from Withak!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Will, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Some time ago, I received a truly generous offer from Withak to build me a slingshot to celebrate the spirit of the season. I was deeply touched by this kindness, and gratefully accepted. Earlier this week, I got the package in the mail and I couldn't wait to open it! Inside lay not one, but two beautiful shooters, spare bands and four different types of ammo, along with a great letter which detailed the construction process of the slingshots! I couldn't even believe it!!
    The bigger slingshot is made from cherry wood, capped with fig and the finish of BLO and hand-rubbed poly make the wood grain and colour leap out! This slingshot feels so good in the hand, that I didn't want to put it down!
    The second is an excellent BB shooter, carved from a bamboo cutting board. The craftsmanship is evident here, everything is perfectly symmetrical and balanced, and it has a great palm swell that feels and looks great! I hadn't experienced the fun of shooting BB's, but let me tell you, its a blast!!
    I waited until the weekend to take some pictures, because I have no daylight left in my day with this schedule I am working. I had hoped for a nice, somewhat sunny day. Of course, this is Oregon in the Winter....such days do not really exist! These pictures not do justice to this amazing work.
    Thank you so much, Withak! I will always treasure these slingshots!

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I suspect that some cans will soon die in Oregon! Beautiful work, Erik! That's a class act!

-Wild Bill

3. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Beautiful Work Whitehawk!
    This is really a great Present, what you get my Friend! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Damn E, you're no newb anymore, those will take the pepsi challenge with anything here! Will, glad you got to take part in the christmas trade, even if you couldn't make one to send. Brotherhood is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Two different slingshots but both very nice. The Cherry one has loads of character and the Bamboo one looks very comfortable and 'warm' if that makes any sense?!

The people on this forum never fail to impress in their building skills and their generosity, what a wonderful community it is!

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I have a package laying around from USA, start thinking what he sent me...

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thank you for your kind words Will, it was my pleasure and you are very welcome!

Thank you Bill

Perhaps autocorrect? I'm Whitehawk now! Wow, I love that name! thanks Schultz :)

I keep working on it D. Receiving my first trade slingshot from you encouraged me to take a step further in my building and try a simple endcap laminate. I'm pretty pleased with it, but can see places I can improve. Thanks.

It is a great group of folks. I'm glad I got involved here.

I hope you like what I sent you Achso. Only a couple more days and we can both open :D

Thanks Flip!

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

White Hawk

Hey Will,

what you reep is what you saw!- Not a coincidence at all that a frank
    and truly friendly person is granted to receive two such nice
    slingshots!- Guess what: You deserve that, in my honest opinion.

In a way YOU are the embodiment of that welcoming spirit of this
    forum! I will never forget your honest and warming words
    welcoming me when I dared to sign in and make a post to
    see if anybody would care.

You did!

Let me thank you for that, once again, with the stunning words
    a wild friend knocked me off last night!- You are the glue that
    keeps this all together!

To me it´s impossible to measure the worth of what is given
    and received at this place! - I´m an addict builder and tinkerer,
    cause it makes me happy -which I dared to accept, take out of the shade
    and as well love and cherish as my appointment (with your encouraging
    words and respect behind me).
    What everyone here, and especially you add on top off that
    deeply affects me: It feels like really coming home.

Every time.
    Thank you.

(Cryba)Be

10. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

amazing gifts Will !!! great beautiful shooters from Withak !!! both delicious ... congrats
    cheers guys !

11. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

What a pair of nice shooters! You are a lucky guy, big man! Really awesome work Withak! I love it!

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Very nice work Erik. Anyone would be proud to own such sweet slingies.

Great extras, too.

Wishing you a warm weekend to shoot these, Will.:D

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Those are absolutely beautiful. Withak is a fine craftsman.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thank you Arturo!

Thank you Flicks, glad you like them!

Thanks Mike!

Thank you for the kind words Jeremy!

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I forgot to add earlier - you may be wondering why such a long 'cap' on that slingshot. I had the cherry fork off a tree in our yard and I liked the fork, but the handle was too short to be a practical slingshot. I decided to try my hands at a cap, only the 2nd one I've done. While I'm not completely happy with the seam at the joint between the two pieces (it could have been much cleaner/tighter), it turned out okay. Then I had trouble with some insect holes appearing in the cap and found myself having to plug some as I filed/sanded it down. I will say this, that cherry is hard stuff to work with - but a good experience. I have a long way to go before I can match some of the master natural builders on this forum.

16. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Very very NICE! These are great guys. The cherry is CHERRY and the BB 'Boo looks like a fist full of Fury! Beautiful work Withak and to Will, you sure did score the card here bud!!!

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Those are amazing gifts! You deserve them Will! Good guys aways deserve a good sling!!!

18. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What I hav´nt pointed out

What I missed to say is how much i like those shooters
    WithaK made!- Never put my eye on cherry, yet now I
    dare to say that this one equals yew to me!
    (Meaning to have put cherry on the "list" now ;) )
    The other thing is how much I like the proportion of
    that fir attached!

Those shooters definitely are part of the family now
    (Slingshot Heaven, so to say..)

Well done,
    my friend!

Be

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thank you for your nice words Ravensbull!

He does, doesn't he? Well said good sir.

Cherry is good stuff, but as I learned, difficult to work. We have a cherry tree in our yard that hasn't produced anything in 3 years. I think it's at the end of it's life. Unfortunately, there aren't many decent forks in the tree, but, I could see that nice trunk and thicker branches turn out some great wood. I've started to 'suggest' to my wife that it may be time to cut this tree down, you know, just because it's past it's fruit-bearing time. No need to leave such beautiful raw slingshot material, um, tree, I meant tree, up any longer than is needed. We should put it out of it's misery. Heck, we don't even get cherry blossoms from it any longer. It's very sad, but I'm willing to suck it up and play George Washington for a bit.