Wolf Spirit - a new beast

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by Thistle, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Hi guys!

As promised my mom's lovely and generous gift… Wolf Spirit

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I guess it's no secret that I'm a metal arts junkie. Combine this with slingshots and we've got seismic tremors on a cataclysmic level. A metalsmith's worst nightmare. So what happens when an eccentric girl in southern Arizona and a crazy brilliant extraordinary metalsmith in California get together to conspire to create something just a wee bit different? Magic happens! There really is SOMETHING about the primal spiritedness radiating from an object laboriously forged from the molten fires of a metalsmith's creative energy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee Silva, Owner of Black Sheep Forge, calls this the Ultra Super Pickle. Ha! I just call it wildly creative.

When the Master Metalsmith and I first discussed this custom project, we really didn't know what might happen. He asked, "Please describe the IDEAL outcome of this collaboration." Heck, I didn't know! I was thinking along the lines of something made of Noldor gold, impervious to destruction, and could only be destroyed by tossing it into the volcanic mouth of Mount Doom. Oops! Wrong forge. Wrong metalsmith. Wrong period. Wrong literally classic.

Seriously, I just wanted a "pickle fork" -- specifically a Black Sheep Forge pickle fork -- but NOT exactly a pickle fork shooter in the 'classic' sense. Something very different. Mr Silva suggested we mutate. Or maybe it was mutiny he proposed. I forget which. We thought we might enlarge the gene pool with a bit more fork diversity. As Mr Silva was working on this new creature, he saw something different emerging from his cosmic fire and decided to change directions. I'm happy to say that what we're seeing here is the dazzling outcome of his creative brilliance.

Sooo… How do I describe Wolf Spirit? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! This particular beast seems to have a mysterious nature. Kinda like a wolf. It's wildly unpredictable and not subject to rigid control. Hmmm… Okay, that sounds too familiar! Seriously, it's like some kind of wicked crazy mood ring! So what color is it? Dark bronze? Sometimes. Sometimes it looks coppery. And sometimes crazy stuff just happens. In my hand it wants to change colors. There is a rainbow of iridescent hues riding across Wolf Rider's sparkling galaxy. Purples, reds, blues, golds, whatever… Gee whiz! Wolf spirit practically breathes. But we are talking spirit, so let's not get too carried away.

This ultra super beast is able to shoot flat bands or tubes in the classical PFS style. Or, if so dared, can also be banded up with the controversial ball-in-tubes or Milbro pin and tubes. Wolf Spirit really doesn't care how dangerously you wanna live. He's designed to be a multipurpose, very accommodating shooter. Four different ways to band this majestic beauty. Four different ways to send a steel ball flying ferociously OVER THE TOP! Snap, snarl, bite! Geez, we are having way too much fun here.

I can't begin to describe how excited I am to have this special piece of art from Mr Silva. I asked the Master Metalsmith if he mistakenly sent me someone else's shooter. I was thinking maybe somewhere on Mount Olympus a temperamental Greek goddess is looking for her fire-born Wolfgang Shooter, and she's about to send out her snarling hounds looking for it. Uh oh! I haven't heard from the Master Metalsmith recently. I don't know where Hephaestus is. Maybe he's busy with Aphrodite's girdle?

I sincerely hope you enjoy the photos and of course the 'goofy' write-up for my new toy. Apparently whatever I've got is NOT curable. My mom said so!

Thank you!
    Thistle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also: A special thank-you to Nathan Masters who contributed some of the photos for my gallery.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Wow Thistle, WHAT A STUNNER!!! Congratulation of the outcome of your collaboration with Mr. Silva. The design and craftmanship is absolute incredible. That has nothing to do with metal forge. That is a PIECE OF ART.
    So Lee is missing, huh? I think he has been kidnapped by the jealous Hephaestus! Or we will get soon an annoucement by ZEUS: ...Hephaestus has left us. As of now, his job will be done by Lee Silva.... ;)

However, thank you very much for sharing Wolf Spirit with us.

BTW: Snowflake is looking as he want to say: Thistle, what is that??? Are you kidding???????? :D

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

wow, wow wow wow, super WOW! that is a gorgeous slingshot!!

4. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Ha-ha, Flicks. 'Snowflake' does look somewhat perplexed doesn't he? Laughing...

Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. I'm glad you like my fancy new 'mood' ring. :p

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

That is pure magic!!!! Is Mr. Silva an elven? Is he brazilian (silva is the most common lastname in Brazil, followed by Souza).
    Amazing piece you got there!

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thistle, I had as much fun reading your post as I did looking at that drop-dead gorgeous new shooter!! Your writing is always amazing and never fails to make me laugh, thank you for that!
    This shooter is very aptly named. When I look at it, its shape looks very tribal and indeed even the photos ring with the haunting power of wolfsong. This is a beautiful design that somehow manages to span primitive strength and ultra-sleek modern refinement. And that coppery/red brass color...wow!!
    This is a wonderful gift. Shoot it proudly!
    And I'm glad you're not curable, we like you just as you are:)

7. flicks

...thanks for mention that, Will. +1:)

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Thank you, Onnod! [​IMG]
    Laughing... Elven? I think he's related to those grumpy guys who carry axes around and wear elaborately braided beards. :p I forget what they're called.
    Thank you, Will! I get a kick outta reading your stuff too. Wolfsong... Oh, I like that! [​IMG]

9. Wow what a nice pickle fork shooter!

Great and nice Teddy.

Thistle, Do you learn him how to shoot with this pickle fork shooter?

Amazing!

Joe

10. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Hey D! Thanks for the compliment. I think.
    [​IMG]

Yup, I'm shooting with my PFS. I'm wearing a glove tho, just in case he bites. :p I'm actually doing quite well with the medium amber tubes that Mr Masters sent me.

I just banded it with the flat bands last night for the first time -- bottom foto. I had RRT Tapered Tubes on it too so that I could photograph at least 3 of the 4 ways Wolf Spirit can be banded. I don't have any of the Milbro pins, otherwise I would have foto-captured that one too.

Thanks for asking. It's pretty cool!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  11. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

BTW: Isn't my red rock pretty? I just picked that up in the desert this weekend. I was hoping it would make a nice photo prop. It didn't disappoint. [​IMG]

12. LW

LW New Member

You leave me confused… You leave me speechless…

Even if I don’t understand half of what you wrote, to be honest, not even half … :eek:
    maybe I should ask Google for help, but I'm afraid that will also not help :confused: :D
    This was the confusing part…

Then I focused on your images of that beautiful :eek:
    This was the speechless Part…

Congratulations on such a beautiful work, I am sure it is a pleasure to hold this in your hand!!!:)

13. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

LOL! That's okay, LW. Pay no attention to anything I say. Half the people I talk to don't understand the mess of verbal confusion I often create. I think Google has to hire extra people just to keep up with me.

Thank you for your beautiful comments! Coming from one of my favorite makers, who constantly inspires so many, including me, I appreciate your compliments. I will pass them along to Mr Silva, the wicked Fire Whisperer, as well -- if I can find him.
    [​IMG]

It is a beautiful slingshot. And I am having quite a blast learning the PFS system. :p

14. flicks

....forget it......;)

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I just had to go back to the pictures to see the red rock you were talking about..... The slingshot is so magnificent that eclipsed the rock image!

16. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Rock and metal just seem to go together. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Hey, that's pretty darn neat!

18. flicks

Ha Doc., "rock" is the German word for skirt. First thought was: Ooops, did I miss anything? No, just an etymology trap....

You are right Thistle - nice rock, fits perfectly to the metal art!

19. You ar looking after every rock behind!

Rofl

Joe

20. Schultz

Schultz New Member

The Slingshot from your Mum is Amazing my Friend :D 1+
    At best, I like the Wolf paw! Looks really Perfect :cool: