WIP - DKC Mini Shooter | G10 and Aluminum

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Danny0663, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

Greetings.
    Welcome to my work in progress.

Since i'm currently on my holiday break from school, i thought i would share some pictures of what the processes are to make a slingshot frame, DKC Mini Shooter to be exact ...

Hopefully the pictures will tell the story of what i did today, it's not finished yet. I still need to round/chamfer and sand the whole slingshot upto 400 grit and finish off with a extra fine scotchbrite abrasive.

Feel free to ask any questions or suggestions, i always appreciate feedback from fellow members.

REMEMBER - Safety First! :)

[​IMG]
    So i start out with a pair of 1/8" thick jade G10 and Blue G10. The blue G10 will be liner material for my handle/scales/

[​IMG]
    I sand one side of the surface with 100 grit abrasives in preparation for epoxy, the rough surface bonds the G10 stronger compared to a glossy surface.

[​IMG]
    I use some 5 minutes epoxy to glue the G10 together. It normally takes around 24 hours to fully harden, however it is workable after 3-4hours.

[​IMG]
    3 clamps for each set.

[​IMG]
    While the epoxy cures, i start on the DKC Mini Shooter blank, i surface grind with 60 grit ceramic belts, and finish with AO 220 grit.

[​IMG]
    Stamped, drilled ready for some handles.

[​IMG]
    The epoxy has cured for 2-3 hours, added some hardware and its ready for sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Always use fresh belts when sanding, it avoids burning and nasty fumes. I'm using VSM Ceramic 60 grits.

[​IMG]
    Sanded to bare metal.

[​IMG]
    The font of the handle/scale is now shaped accordingly.

[​IMG]
    Handle/scales are shaped, with scalloping. Ready for final sanding and shaping to knock of sharp edges.

I'm too tired to carry on today ... more to come first thing tomorrow morning. I just have to chamfer/round the edges and sand the whole frame. Hopefully i'll be able to finish it tomorrow morning and take some final photos.

Thanks for looking.
    Danny,

2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wow, really nice pattern on the handle. Very interesting to see your working process too!

3. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Loved the play by play photos, very nice!

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

That looks great mister Danny

J

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks really nice! I've yet to try my hand at anything but wood, but really like the idea of scales applied to a metal core. Can't wait to try it for myself. I'll be looking forward to the next set of photos.

6. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Your build log looks fantastic, Danny! Should be very helpful for someone interested in aluminum-core slingshots. Your blanks always look perfect. I am wondering what equipment you're using. You've probably already said, but I've missed it. But it looks like I may have to put a milling machine on my growing Christmas wish-list. Maybe next year.
    Oh mom! Can I have…? :eek:

Thanks for sharing this. Once again, SUPER job!

Oh! And one of these days I am going to get my hands on a DKC Flintstone! I love your other stuff, but those are still my favorite and your coolest.[​IMG] IMHO.

7. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Wonderful as always Danny.
    I always enjoy your work.
    Zwillie

8. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

Thanks! i'm glad you like it.

Thanks.

Metal and synthetic materials are great fun, if you need any pointers feel free to PM me.

Thanks Thisle! Milling machine would be awesome, it's on my "to get list" for sure. :)

I'm glad you liked it Zwillie.

9. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

The finale.

I Finished the slingshot this afternoon, it turned out great. Here are some pictures i took along the way ..
    [​IMG]
    400 grit for final clean up

[​IMG]
    I use my dremel tool to clean up rest of the frame, if you're wondering why i don't sleeve the sanding drum all the way, i do this to stop chattering marks on aluminum.

[​IMG]
    After i finish with the dremel, i sand the whole frame by hand with 400 grit abrasives, and fine scotchbrite abrasives.

[​IMG]
    Sanded to 400 grit, ready for final sanding.

[​IMG]
    This is the finish it leaves on aluminum, fine scotchbrite is amazing stuff. Just a quick tip - make sure you sand out all the deep scratches before moving onto finer grits.

[​IMG]
    Buffing is not necessary, but it gives the aluminum the gloss satin finish i usually use. Tip - The trick is not to apply too much buffing compound, remember we want a satin finish, not a polished finish.

[​IMG]
    WD-40 to clean the buffing compound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

10. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

The finale.

I Finished the slingshot this afternoon, it turned out great. Here are some pictures i took along the way ..
    [​IMG]
    400 grit for final clean up

[​IMG]
    I use my dremel tool to clean up rest of the frame, if you're wondering why i don't sleeve the sanding drum all the way, i do this to stop chattering marks on aluminum.

[​IMG]
    After i finish with the dremel, i sand the whole frame by hand with 400 grit abrasives, and fine scotchbrite abrasives.

[​IMG]
    Sanded to 400 grit, ready for final sanding.

[​IMG]
    This is the finish it leaves on aluminum, fine scotchbrite is amazing stuff. Just a quick tip - make sure you sand out all the deep scratches before moving onto finer grits.

[​IMG]
    Buffing is not necessary, but it gives the aluminum the gloss satin finish i usually use. Tip - The trick is not to apply too much buffing compound, remember we want a satin finish, not a polished finish.

[​IMG]
    WD-40 to clean the buffing compound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

11. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

12. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Beautifully done, Danny! Wow, wow, wow, etc.!

The texture pattern and those colors are so amazing. Kinda like a rippling Caribbean sea. The combo just seems to glow. Did you have an idea you would get that effect? What a stunner. Mmmm... A copper core...

I was just kidding about the milling machine. Kinda. [​IMG] My poor mom would... [​IMG]

13. zwillie

zwillie New Member

:mad:

Pah, everybody can build a slingshot like yours...
    ...if he is a genius.

Again, wonderful work.

Zwillie (who is just a bit more jealous than usual) ;)

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

wow, she is a beauty! i love the color combination!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  15. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Wow didn't expect that effect on scales. Good stuff.