Will this trigger mechanism work?

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by Moizla, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Moizla

Moizla New Member

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum an this is my first post.

I try to build a solid slingshot crossbow and I've thought about a fitting trigger mechanism. This mechanism is a bit like a regular crossbow trigger mechanism I guess. I want to build this out of a 10mm aluminium plate. So yeah, what do you think? Will this work? And if it works - is 10mm thick aluminium strong enough if I want to use atleast a whole stripe of theraband gold per side?

trigger mechanism.jpg

The grey points are metal bolts, the funny looking thing on the right side is a spring.

I hope that everybody understands what I'm trying to say despite my bad English.

Greetings from Germany

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

It will work, and I think it will hold.(if multiplex of this thickness does the job...)

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

If necessary metal really nice :)

J

4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Looks good to my unskilled eye...Willkommen!!

5. Aus_sweetnam

Aus_sweetnam Professional Crayon-Eater

try switching the spring with a strong rubber band or two. easier. do you mind if i work with this idea a bit?

6. Moizla

Moizla New Member

Sorry that it took me so long to reply. I was busy the last few days.

Feel free to do with the idea whatever you want. It is not really my invention I guess. A similar mechanism can be found in commercial crossbows as far as I know.

Have a nice day!

PS. I can't find aluminium plates of that thickness so I figured out something else. I want to glue 2 or 3 big washers together with liquid metal epoxy glue. After that it should be possible to file the notches in to it. And the trigger can be cut out of something like brackets (that L shaped ones) or similar stuff. Maybe someone has a better idea and can help me out. Probably I can create this out of something that is easy to obtain (household stuff).

Thanks a lot

Moizla

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. you could buy some ply wood or pick some scrap offcuts up for free from a timber yard.
    some 18mm multiplex ply wood should do but you could reinforce it with metal

8. AvB

AvB New Member

yes and its very similar to a very common mechanism used for rubberband guns.

see:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-us8kFj6ns[/ame]