Why Rubber Powered Crossbows Rule.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Nov 17, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

1. They can be made at home.
    2. They are very compact.
    3. They cost next to nothing.
    4. They are powerful enough.
    5. Cocking them is possible without clumsy rope pulley systems.
    6. They aren't too powerful (so the bolts are reusable in most cases).

Here is a video that proves how utterly useless modern crossbows have become - 100% my own experience:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x22qp7-XoXY[/ame]

2. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

Sweet, I was looking forward to this episode of ZGB.

I was doing some target shooting with a powerful crossbow today. I'm always amazed how much power it really has on impact but at the range we were all joking about being eaten by zombies while messing around with the string cocking rope trying to reload it. Our general conclusion was that a crossbow is a somewhat crappy zombie defense weapon unless you only ever had one or two zombies to take down at a safe distance.

My own feeling was that the crossbow would be great for nearly silent game hunting for food after the zombie defense was taken care of with a different tool.

Someday I'll try making a rubber-powered crossbow of some kind to compare with :)

3. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

For zombie defense, a standard inexpensive 150lb recurve is just fine. They are available for less than $100, do 200fps, are lightweight, and are accurate. I have one. You draw it by simply pulling the string with your hands. My guess is that many of the higher power compound xbows can be drawn by hand too if you are in a hurry.

I've often wondered about increasing the power of my xbow. Maybe by adding another limb, kinda like a leaf spring on a car, it could be done. I'll have to try it someday (while making sure I have a backup prod).

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

These new compound crossbows can't be drawn by hand anymore. The peak draw resistance is too high, and also the angle is too steep, pinching your fingers so painfully, it just can't be done. Without that awkward rope thing you are lost. I hate it.

Indeed a simple recurve or even an early compound that can be drawn back by hand is fine, like the one Daryl had in the first season.

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I doubt that I shall ever make a rubber powered crossbow....for a number of reasons:-

Principally because I have minimal mechanical competence.

But also because I don't like the idea of the power loss whilst the rubber is left stretched

And I have plenty of strength to draw heavy rubber as required to get off quick shots.

In our vision of coping with SHTF scenarios the most likely situation is defending our property against the looting, rampaging zombie hordes. We can confine them within a killing field only about 5 feet wide. The idea is that we take out the first few with slingbows until the survivors get too close at which time we drop the slingbows and open up with the conventional crossbows which will be pre-cocked. By this time there should be a body pile-up that should give us time to reload or switch weapons again.

For us it's just like planning strategies when playing GTA San Andreas....great fun! ;)

6. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

Another trouble with crossbows is mobility: navigating through woods and underbrush with a crossbow is like bushwhacking while carrying a large model airplane that wants to fetch up in everything. A sling crossbow would have narrower profile side to side. That could help in this regard.

Honestly if we bargain our way down to some magical crossbow that's easy to cock by hand, reliable, and powerful enough... you might just be better off with a 50lb draw recurve or long bow. Simple, efficient, quiet, and a 50lb bow will shove an arrow right through a deer's chest and reload in very few seconds. Perhaps a slingbow would function about the same but with some more 'string' noise.

I know I'm blabbing on a lot but I had the crossbow vs. zombies discussion with some friends yesterday so it's fresh in my mind.

7. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

The disadvantage of a normal bow is the length, mine is 160cm long(stone-age-style), I know there ar eshorter bows but a slingbow goes down to 30-40cm.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

This is my survival slingbow for if we have to take to the mountains and size and weight are important. Trouble is the arrows are still big

Attached Files: