Why my bazooka is the mother of all crossbows?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Jul 9, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Because it is the only muscle powered, one man operable, portable crossbow I know off that can shoot a massive 1lb wooden rod (30mm x 1000mm) through 4 cm of massive oak - with no tip, just 100% blunt.

It wasn't operable due to some minor damages (paracord was worn out, trigger broke off). Had to repair it for another German TV team that wants to film this Thursday. Shot it, for the first time ever in warmer weather!

Unbelievable. It shot the unsharpened, plain rod right through my massive oak panel... leaving a perfectly round hole behind. Massive splintering of course. See the part where the face of the rod hit?

Shot from 10 meters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sietse2209

sietse2209 New Member

verry nice done, powerfull weapon great job as always
    your the best slingshot builder!!

3. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Very powerful. Nice work

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Should we look at this like a challenge? :D

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Next time you find yourself in a large field it would be interesting to see the range of this weapon.

As well as being the most powerful one-man slingshot on earth, it probably shoots the farthest too.

Poor, poor backstop:D

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^I agree^
    I would like to know just how far that thing could send a projectile!
    The 'witch blood' splattering is great! :D

7. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Looks Powerfull :D

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Jörg, you've been doing the slingshot stuff since 2009 on the internet. why all the tv people are searching you so much only now? Are the slingshots comming back to "fashion"?
    Or it is like a "sazonal" stuff, when tv people search you once a year in july....?
    I just hope that the price of this fame don't keep you away from the forum!

9. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Hmmmmm, I see potential for a tornado thrown debris simulator.... why use an air cannon when a rubber powered (much less expensive) device will do the same job?!?

10. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

you should do a ballistics test

11. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Kinetic, we all know what will happen, it'll go through like nothing. Sorry but if it does that to a piece of solid wood. Ballistics gel isn't really a worth while test. Sorry.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I think it would not go through all the way if the block is big enough.

1. The gelatin would put up a huge amount of friction.
    2. The blunt tip would push the gelatin block from the table, which would eat up a lot of energy

Gelatin may look very soft, but in reality it is quite tough. I saw 70 cm of it stop a .75" musket ball, fired with a doubled up powder charge. The ball was massively deformed, came to a stop after maybe 60 cm. That same ball would crash through two or three of these oak panels.

13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Impressive. Do you know when the television show is broadcast?

14. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Very impressive!!
    I wonder if there will be anything stronger and more frightening than this bazooka. :D

15. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Thank you Mr. Sprave. I feel foolish. I really should have stated that it would go through the average amount of ballistics gel you use... but sorry I totally agree. Hmmmm Maybe it'd get minimal penetration and make it fly?

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

:eek:Very impressive power.