why cant i get my singshot shape right it is always miss shaped

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jackharley, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jackharley

jackharley New Member

am getting annoyed because i cant get the perfect shape with my plywood slingshot it is really annoying me

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

1. Any pictures?
    2. There is no really perfect shape.
    3. Wich tools do you use?

3. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

You could really elaborate a bit more.

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I can see you are annoyed?

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hi, Jack! By "shape" you mean the blueprint/template or the round shaping of the shooter? Pictures will help for sure!

6. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

nah i have the same problems. its gonna take a long time to get things perfect, if its even possible. i have a micrometer and it is not helping :p some ppl are just really critical and have a good eye for evenness . i can spot it when its a 1 mm difference between sides. it could be a gift but i think its a curse. either way its still a fully functional slingshot, just a hair different on each side, but really, so is our body, its not exactly perfect measurements on either side...

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Perfection is boring, if you get it perfect then whats the point of making more, you'd already have the perfect slingshot!

I used to be worried about things not being even and then gave up, Asymmetry is a beautiful thing It makes what you create that much more unique! (a good way to write off a mistake too!)

8. Haze

Haze New Member

I have found that I really need to put time and thought into symmetry. When you are making a natural, you normally need to slim one side of the fork down, and whether you are aiming for round, oval or square, you need to spend the time to take it slow so you don't take off too much in one place and then find yourself having to even up on the other side. The other thing you need to do is slowly turn the thing and look at it from different angles, because it can be symmetrical from one angle but not from another. These days I am trying to get them perfect with the rasp and then just use the files and sandpaper for the surface finish.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm working on one currently that just isn't turning out the way I want. I cut it from an old bamboo cutting board and it looks lopsided. I keep working to try and find that perfect symmetry, but it's not happening. When I get frustrated, I put it down and work on something else. I find that coming back to a piece sometimes allows me to see something I can change to help get it closer to my vision for that piece. It's getting closer, so I'm back to sandpaper. I just keep working at it, taking just a little bit at a time, studying the piece as I go. I think it's a never ending process of improvement. Ultimately I think with time and practice, you can eventually find that symmetry you're looking for.

10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I complained to my art professor about faults in my drawings and she told me that little inconsistencies are what makes art "charming". I get more charming every day. Fagedaboudit!

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Often templates are lopsided. If I see one that I like, I print out 1 copy and a mirror image on my editor. Then I will cut and paste. That way whatever I am doing is balanced.

12. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

What a wealth of knowledge there is here but the best "balance" you will eventually find is when you have held (quite obviously), massaged n rubbed (NO PUN!) your project in the position/grip you intend to be shooting it in. Wherever you feel an uncomfortable ridge/surface/bumb or other irritation, grind/rasp/sand it down but gently. I kinda pretend I'm back rubbin' the kinks out of my lady friend's back when she complains.. Then again, when I stop, she gets bent outta shape all over again... That's much part of the love "WE" share here in the way that our inanimate projects will not complain, but wait patiently for us to mould them into part of our soul/self! I think Flicks' signature comment says it very clearly! Have fun with it and let it "become" yours!!!

13. Haze

Haze New Member

I haven't forgotten that I need to keep looking for that template. Flip. By the way, this whole mirror image editor business.... is this cheap or free software or do you have to be some sort of graphic design/engineering dude to justify it?

14. Flipgun

No Hurries, No worries.
    The mirror image is basic on any photo shop go to edit--orientation and it is just a box to check. My photo shop is really basic and about 6-7 years old. Also you can just print the one you like, cut it in half, cut it out and trace half&half.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've noticed that myself. I've printed and cut a few templates and have found, after cutting, that the shape was not truly symmetrical to begin with. What little design work I've done, I've done the same thing you suggest - I really just design one side of the fork, then copy that side, flip it over and attach it to the first side. That way, each side matches exactly. Of course once you do that, you have to be sure you don't go overboard with the rasps, files, etc. and take that nice symmetrical fork back into the world of lopsidedness :)

16. rafflop

rafflop New Member

People go to fitness centers to get healthy, but too often they may also be getting swindled. According to the Better Business Bureau, around 9,400 complaints were filed last year against fitness experts, fitness centers and health clubs. That is 15 percent higher than in the previous year. But there are things you can watch for and things you can do to stay away from being taken to the cleaners.

17. Flipgun

Go Away RoboSpammer! :mad:

18. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

that's why I like the naturals, no one will complaint perfect "symmetry" ... another way is choosing asymmetric shapes :)
    cheers

19. kiitos

kiitos Banned

Before starting to saw something, I always make a pattern.
    First is to draw a fine center line vertically. Cut one side with
    the scissors. Fold it hard centerwisely on to the uncut side
    and scrap the other piece carefully congruent.
    This will produce a correct symmetry. There's no other way. :rolleyes:

20. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I draw most of my templates by hand, what I like to do is fold the paper in half then draw had the template, at the edge of the fold, then take your scissors and cut out all your pencil lines then your sling is perfectly equal. You can also customize it a little if you don't want a perfectly symmetrical sling.