Which tube/band to use?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Ballistic, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

Hey everyone, I am new to this, I am wondering what is the best band or tube to use for making a sling bow? I want this to be maximum power/speed but also very durable so it wont break.<br><br>Also any other tips are appreciated, thanks!

2. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Lots of stuff to choose from but most people go with Thera Band Gold, Joerg has even done a calculator for this type of band <a href="http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html</a><br>While it's not the most durable material in the world it actually depends on how you use and cut it up (still it's probably much less breakable than all the other thera band colour types). Thera tubes will be more durable but I don't use them much, I find flatbands more interesting since I can match them to my strength.<br><br><br>Cheers

3. JayG

JayG New Member

I am wanting to test some exercise equipment tubing here soon, whenever I can get up to St. Louis to a sports authority store, they have a whole rack of different weight tubing for their machines. It's a little bit bigger than the exercise band tubing you see at walmart and other places, and has ratings all the way up to 100 pounds. I'll have to get a pull scale also, to see if the rating is really what it says. I am thinking of a kind of crossbow type rig to get the same pull length on each band set, and maybe to shoot arrows instead of balls. I think I should measure draw length, weight, and distance each shoot, anyone know of something else?

4. 3bears

3bears New Member

I've been using the TruMark tapered tubes of late, got them chony'd yesterday... shocking for such a light draw - over 300 fps on 9.5mm steel, and about 220 on a 12mm lead a lot of oomf for tubes :O

5. JayG

JayG New Member

Yes, doesn't feel like it does it? I've got some also, don't have any way to measure speed though. I have to guess by how hard it hits.

6. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

I was planning on taking a sling shot bow that shoots arrows, in case of a SHTF scenario, so I could have something to hunt with, because gun ammo will run out plus it is very heavy. I was hoping there was a very durable yet powerful and fast band/tube out there so I don't have to worry about it snapping out in the wilderness and starving. <br><br>I suppose I could just buy the gold and take a ton of replacement bands.