Which hand do you hold the fork?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by tivo532, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

If you are right handed which hand do you hold the fork? I'm right handed and my instinct is to use the right hand on the fork but my friends hold it using their left hand. Just curious knowing how SS shooters hold it. :)

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Left-handed geniuses named Dolomite hold the slingy in the right hand. It's about your dominant eye. Left eye dominant-right hand hold, Right eye dominant-left hand holds.
    Then there's the poor cross dominant folks. My wife is left eye dominant but right handed, she has to hold the slingshot,handgun,rifle as if left handed due to eye dominance.

3. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Ian right hande, but have always held with the left, but I assume that if I started with my right hand I would be just as good today. Consistent practice will make everything better.

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

By the way I do not aim, so if you aim you have to mess with your eyeballs, and stuff like that.

5. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Good one! I have just found out that I'm left eye dominant and maybe the reason why I'm holding the fork on right hand.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Dominant-Eye

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I'm right handed and right eye dominant and I hold my slingshots in my left hand, just like a bow..

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Your gut instinct isn't lying to you, Dolo's answer sounds 100% to me.

And now I know what to call myself. Cross dominant...sounds sorta powerful:D

Though I can't imagine pulling a trigger with my left hand, I hold bows and slingies in my dominant (right) hand--my left eye being the stronger of the two.

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

You can add me to that list too!

I handle my slingshots like I handle my Bows. Hold both in the right hand. I can use them right handed but my aim is terrible, but that's the eye dominance doing that

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Dolo is spot on. Right handed, right-eye dominant, I hold my slingshots in my left hand. But, I have shot holding it in my right hand. Feels a little weird, but I can do it with reasonable accuracy, though not as accurate when it's in my left hand.

10. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

I am a left eye dominant but shoot with the bow in my left hand and the slingshot in my right hand !!

11. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I'm left-handed and hold the fork in my left hand.
    My husband is right-handed, and also holds the fork in his left hand.

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I'm also cross dominate, can shoot either left or right eye, although my left is stronger, more accurate.

However I have learned when holding sling with left hand, to not try to line up with my right eye.
    Instead I use a hold much like an archer, drawing thumb back to the rear of my jaw. When all is right, it hits.

It is why my favorite of all slingshots is a rifle type, with right hand holding the shot and braced against the rear of my shooter. It also seems to help me to shoot with both eyes open, but the left one has the sight picture, right one is just making sure nothing is going to move in front of me. Unfocused but using the peripheral vision.

For me it comes down to a choice, use the left eye, and be cross handed, losing dexterity. Or lose some accuracy and shoot with my right eye, with better fine control.

The funny thing is I've been shooting rifle, shotgun for 45 years and have no real problems.
    Yet as soon as I switched to left eye dominate for blowgun and slingshot I noticed a marked improvement. I suspect years of shooting and muscle memory have much to do with it.

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Right-handed, left eye dominant and also have Astigmatism in my right eye. Honestly, from a technical viewpoint my shooting is a mess!

I hold a rifle leading with my left hand and sight with my blurry, non-dominant eye. Im used to it now and am still accurate but it does mean my rifles are set up a little funny and no one else seems to be able to shoot them!

Not really a problem with a slingshot though, I shoot with both eyes open and I guess semi-instinctive holding it in my left hand. I have been trying to aim a little more consciously lately though.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  14. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

It is super strange and i noticed it 2 years ago. I have always held slingshots in my right and pulled with the left. But I could never ever shoot a bow this way, it feels super unnatural. I have to hold the bow in my left and pull with my right... :D

15. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Now that I think about it, I'd hold a bow in my right and pull with my left. Weird!

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

to me its the same hold as with bow shooting, right handed shooters hold the bow in the left hand, I use the same principal with the sling

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I hold it in the right and pull with my stronger arm (the left)

J

18. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm right-hand/left eye cross dominant and I hold with my left, and not to brag or anything, but my member title isn't sharpslinger for nothing.
    I am by no means an expert and this is quite possibly wrong, but I think the most important thing is to hold it The way you feel most comfortable

19. michael247

michael247 New Member

I just started recently and my first impulse was to hold the fork with my right hand. However, my right eye is way better than my left and so I decided to shoot like I would do with a rifle. Didn't make much of a difference in the first place but now I cannot even imagine holding the fork with my right. I am right handed by the way.

20. kiitos

kiitos Banned

Very simple: Hold the fork in exact that hand which gives
    the maximum control enabling to keep the fork steadily and caaaalm!

I'm right handed/ right eyed.
    The 45 Ibs recurve bow is easy to control, right arm is the
    strongest to pull the arrow out and hold a "longer" moment.
    Result: Left hand points, resisting, right fingers unyeldingly pull.
    During the dominant right eye aims.

Slingshot: Right hand has the most finger "locking" power,
    my left hand the most nose for pouch and linearity.
    What a question. Dimming out the right eye (!) it's no problem
    for me to hit in this manner.
    Couldn't imagine ever to shoot in another way.

Once I tried out which draw weight the left hand could pull-
    with a tillered 60 Ibs compound. A toy! Strange.

Don't believe people saying:
    Blablabla... you must do it so and so. Doesn't look nice.
    Answer: Who shoots? You or me?