Which Base Material To Fill Hex Nuts With Lead ?....

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Aussie_Al, May 5, 2013.

1. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

Hi All,

As the topic says, I am curious as to what is best base/bedding material, on which to place the hex nuts, so the center can be filled with molten lead ?.....

Thinking between sand, or plain ordinary dirt ?....
    Or maybe another material would be better ?....

Given I am going to do this in a few days, and take already 18.3 gram hex nuts, hopefully to around 25 grams. Given the center hole is just on 8 mm in diameter.

Cheers Aussie Allan In Thailand

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

wood or metal, lead isn't too hot when molten

3. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Put your hex nuts on a couple of sheets of aluminum foil before you pour your lead into their centers. As onnod said, lead isn't exactly very hot when molten, comparatively speaking, and the aluminum foil will help shield whatever surface you're using from any excessive heat.

4. BrPio

BrPio .

In my profession I use lead a lot. Any steel surface will work. One thing though, you need to sweat the hexnut well it's on the pouring surface first (run a torch over it). The reason is, if there is any cool moister in the air it will gather on the nut and the hot lead can splatter possibly burning you. I'v seen it happen before, doesn't allways happen, but better safe than sorry.

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

brilliant idea, AA! hexnuts: fun! lead: fun! two great hits that ought to go great together :)

OTOH, will filling the center hole negatively affect the accuracy of a hex nut? Hexnuts fly surprisingly true for their odd shape, I wonder if that's due to the center hole?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. MEDIA4LAB

MEDIA4LAB New Member

Slow Motion of Hex Nuts Traveling

Perhaps a slow motion video shot of the hex nuts, traveling from various shooters, would help us to better understand how hex nuts stabilize in flight.
    Painting the six sides different colors might be even more helpful. Hint,hint Jorg ;)

Last edited: May 9, 2013