Where to get multiplex wood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by GustavMoller, Apr 9, 2013.

1. GustavMoller

GustavMoller New Member

Where do you guys get your wood from?

2. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Hardware Store.

3. GustavMoller

GustavMoller New Member

I have just come home from looking around town, nowhere sold multiplex and even if the had some really good plywood they sold it in massive sheets :/

4. Hegz

Hegz New Member

I ordered mine online. I couldn't find a local place that sold it.

5. GustavMoller

GustavMoller New Member

could you perhaps send me a link to the website where you got it from?<br>many thanks

6. Hegz

Hegz New Member

I got my piece from <a href="http://workshopsupply.com" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">workshopsupply.com</a>, they are based out of Ontario, Canada. You may want to search around the web to see if you can find some place a little closer to where you live.

7. NytraM

NytraM New Member

Ask anywhere with wood yard or timber in the name, youre probably gonna have to ask a few places, and pretty much everyone in my experience asking about in england/london is gonna look at you in confusion if you ask for multiplex.<br><br>Ask for BIRCH PLYWOOD, and ask for offcuts, which hopefully as they dont need them and youre young they wont try to get any money out of you. See if they know where it was grown, hopefully theyre gonna say latvia or somewhere baltic and not china. look at the wood properly and ask what grade it is. B/ BB is what you want, thats whats generally about and will have one good side and one side where theres a few plugs in the wood.<br><br>only problem is they might have some thin stuff sitting about, but thicker bits (1/2 - 3/4) inch people dont use as much so unlikely to get offcuts, but you can laminate together some thinner bits if you need to.<br><br>in the end i bought a 5'x8' sheet of it, they never had any thicker offcuts.<br><br>ask around a few places tho, make friends with them, tell them what youre doing they will help

8. NytraM

NytraM New Member

oh i forgot, once i found some offcuts of what appears to be floor boards of birch ply laminated to i think oak in someones front garden, which made a lovely shooter. maybe ask floorboarding companies just be careful about what theyve put on it already varnish etc

9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead New Member

10. dinobuddy

dinobuddy Senior Member

Usually I get my wood from chicks on roller skates. I'm funny that way.

But in all seriousness, I get my multiplex from the local woodworking store; Home Depot has some birch ply, but it's not "furniture grade" or "marine grade" Baltic birch plywood (a.k.a., multiplex). Multiplex is, if I recall, 18-ply (or is it 18mm?). I'd be very surprised if you found out at Home Depot.

11. dinobuddy

dinobuddy Senior Member

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I am assuming that at 14 years old you are not exactly flush with cash but there are ways of getting it for free! If you see any building work going on ask if there are any offcuts, don't be afraid of being cheeky! I got three 3x1.5 foot sheets of 10mm ply that way. Glue them them together and presto! Skips are another good one or your local recycling centre will usually let you take some bits. I got 2 sheets of aluminium from a local recycling centre. I also got a 2 foot x 8 inch section of stokboard by asking for offcuts at a stables.

Best thing other than being free is the great feeling of making something from other peoples rubbish! Most things can be reused, laminated and repurposed.

If you think looking at every stick you see as a potential slingshot is obsessive just wait until you start diving into every skip you pass!

Happy hunting! :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Not sure what you have available in your country, but around me, hardware stores don't typically carry the 'Baltic Birch Plywood' multiplex, they only seem to carry regular old plywood. I've found 2 local sources for multiplex though. #1 is a craft shop known as "Michael's" here in the US. They carry smaller pieces, no larger than a 1/4 sheet and the price is decent, but they usually only go to 3/8" thick. #2 is a wood workers dream world known as Woodcrafters - they carry 1/4, 1/2 and full sheets up to, as I recall, 3/4" thick. If you can find a hobby/art supply store that carries it, you may find some thinner pieces, but you could always laminate two 1/4" pieces to make a 1/2" piece.

14. lucas414

lucas414 New Member

I bought a 18mm 121*61cm sheet, i can make alot of slingshots out of it, and just to mention, this threat is a year old

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I wouldn't call it a threat as such ;)

Wow, I didn't even notice that. I've been part of a instance of threadromancy, for shame!

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha! Its nice to see someone else stumble into Threadcromancy!

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Dangit! I'm usually good about catching old threads, and this one slipped by me. Bad Withak! Bad Withak!

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Sorry to bring it to your attention. However, you have caught me several times in the past, so it was well-earned:D

19. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Your identifier has you in England. Getting good multiplex is a problem that I have seen mentioned quite frequently by members that live there. You may have to look up GameKeeper Johns web site. I have not looked in a while, but he used to sell blanks and rough cut frames.

20. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member