Where do you guys find your leather?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Ghosth, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I'm on a tight budget here, and I've pretty much blown this years budget on tools. (I'm loving the hot air gun for playing with PVC)

I had a old leather jacket that I cut apart but it really is too thin.

So where do you guys find the right thickness of leather for pouches, and how thick do you like it?

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I sacrificed a used working glove,
    that leather stripe protecting the knuckles
    works really fine!- But i will order maybe a dozen
    of Kugel-winnies Kangaroo- pouches!-

Those are great (I really charged them by drawweight)
    and will cost rd. 1,50 including shipping..
    Which is worth it, I guess!

But I also decided to try to find Kangaroo-Leather myself..

Greetings,

Be

3. BeMahoney

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

You can still use the jacket. I have been laminating thin leather with, "Original Shoe Goo and the pouches are holding up very well.

5. BeMahoney

6. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I don't think those of us in the US could order from there. :(

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

3M super 77 contact adhesive is lighter, more flexable, dries right now, and mess free. I've been using this for a while with surprising results. stick the two suede sides together then clamp for two minutes for piece of mind.

8. AngelicScars

9. BeMahoney

@ angel: give em a try?- call tehm and ask if they send a "Großbrief" (big letter, 3to 6 days tothe US)
    Must be : worth max. 72 Dollars, less than 500 gramms.
    Length min. 14cm, width min 9 cm.. L+W+H max. 90cm- thats all :) costs: 3,45€ :) :)

good luck on that!

Be

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Wife came home from work, went up into the attic storage and in 2 minutes she found my craft box. 7 different pieces of leather in there, each of them close to the right thickness. So I'm sitting pretty at this point. Also she brought me home some thera band green tube she found at second hand store for 3$.

I'm a very lucky man and I need to spoil my wife a bit more I think. :)

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I went to a shoe maker...(sapateiro in portuguese) and asked for leftovers.
    We still have this ancient and honnored job here.

12. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Nice idea we have a few coblers here in texas. Their are alot of cowboy boots that need repairing.

13. Moin moin,
    I've been looking for remnants in leather shops .... however, there are "only" little these stores ...... ! And if the have what is always questionable!
    -
    Beautiful leather pieces, I have found the spear waste!
    Old leather sofas!
    Advantage here, the leather was already stretched, are sitting on ..... etc. .. what was just so taken on the part ..... .
    Rice and hard, often (not always) too!
    -
    For people who can not wait .....
    At the hardware store, leather gloves! Here, then, goat, or sometimes Kanguru.
    Or - if it may be more expensive motorcycle gloves!

Although it is sometimes for 1 euro ....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorrad-Led...31054861107?pt=Handschuhe&hash=item35cbf16333

-

Ich habe mich nach Reststücken in Ledergeschäften umgesehen.... es gibt aber "nur" wenig dieser Läden...... ! Und ob die was haben, ist immer fraglich!
    -
    Schöne Leder Stücke, habe ich beim Speermüll gefunden!
    Alte Leder Sofas!
    Vorteil, hier wurde das Leder schon gedehnt, vom sitzen liegen ..... usw... was halt so auf dem Teil gemacht wurde..... .
    Und Reissfest, sind die oft (leider nicht immer) auch!
    -
    Für Leute, die gar nicht warten können.....
    Im Baumarkt, Lederhandschuhe! Hier dann Ziege, oder manchmal auch Kanguru.
    Oder - wenn es teurer sein darf Motorrad Handschuhe!

Obwohl es die manchmal für 1 Euro gibt....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorrad-Led...31054861107?pt=Handschuhe&hash=item35cbf16333

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

send off for free samples from upholstry companies, I got python and croc print cowhide that looks great and works well too.

15. AngelicScars

16. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

My wife asked at the local change tailoring(hope this is right) for some leather scrap and she got some nice pieces.
    5 € for the owners tip and we are both happy.
    And yes, my wife is supporting me too.:D

17. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

I got a bag of random leather pieces from the big arts&crafts chain store Michaels. It was around $10 and was about the size of a brown paper lunchbag. Many colours and shapes and most of the pieces look big enough to make slingshot pouches out of.

18. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

I found a used woman's purse at the the thrift store the other day. The leather was really strong and it was only priced at $4.
    The lady at the cash register gave me a weird look and told me, "red in not your color"... LOL

Also a neighbor got rid of a damaged leather sofa from which I reclaimed a large cushion leather cover...

You may also purchase scrape leather on ebay.com if you are hunting for specific colors of leather.

19. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

I just got home and checked my Bag o' Leather. it's a 1pound bag of "suede trim" in blacks and earth tones made by The Leather Factory / Tandy Leather in Fort Worth, Texas.

20. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Go to somebody that repairs shoes. They always have leftovers and even tiny pieces can be enough for a pouch.