Where do you get your ammo?

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by BillyBob, Apr 30, 2014.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

Hello All,

I am a total newb to slingshots who just becam a proud owner of a joerg sprave "Hand Howitzer".

I am currently shooting 10mm steel balls. This for two reasons 1) In my head 10mm bbs sounded bigger than they actualy are 2) I want to get accurate with my slingshot and 10mm bbs are quite economic to shoot.

I got my first 300 balls from a seller called "revolve_bearings_and_pt" and they worked out at about 3.5 pence (stirling) per ball. I have since found out that if i buy a large lot from simplybearings.co.uk i can bring this down to around 2.5pence per ball.

The only problem is that i would like to move to heavier ammo, but as you move to bigger balls the cost per shot goes up quickly. And as i said i want to get alot of practise in which will mean firing alot of shots.

Which brings me to my question: Where does everyone get there ammo and can anyone recommend a particularly cheap source? btw: I an not fixed on steel bbs, i would have no problem moving to lead if it were cheaper.

Also, i realise i could just collect the bbs after shooting. The thing is i dont have any land of my own so i am restricted to shooting in woodland in similar...thus i dont have a catch bix and finding the balls can be tricky!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

2. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

for lead i use my local bait and tackle shop m8 round fishing weights fire great( or you could melt them down and pour them into 10mm moulds)

3. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

Yes...casting my own ammo had crossed my mind. I think i would have to find a locals source of lead though. The price of lead on ebay looks like casting would be a good option...however the shipping cost looks like it would erase any savings. I hadnt thought of fishing tackle shops as a source for lead though. I will look into that as well as looking for a place to buy scrap lead.

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Kugel-Winnie

Hey BillieBob,

this might be interesting too:

http://www.kugel-winnie.de/epages/6...ion für Schleuder/Zwille"/Sportmunition_Stahl

shipping:

bis 1 kg 9,50 Euro
    1 kg bis 5,5 kg 11,40 Euro
    5,5 kg bis 24,5 kg 17,90 Euro (three stone 12lb.. :) )
    über 24,5 kg per Sonderanfrage

*Zone 1: Belgien, Dänemark (außer Grönland, Färöer Inseln), Estland, Finnland (außer Aland), Frankreich (außer Überseegebiete), Großbritannien (außer Überseegebiete),

So getting together to order a greater ammount might pay off..?

kind regards,

Be

6. korg20000bc

korg20000bc Hairy Biped

I've been wondering if there is any machinery that would be worth taking apart to salvage ball bearings from.

I have access to a waste depot that might be a good source.

If anyone is interested, old microwave ovens are an excellent source for really strong magnets.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Poundland do 150 marbles for a quid. Can't complain with that!

8. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Someone recently posted a concept for a catch box that uses a dog carrier. I know I have a dog carrier that folds down to the size of a briefcase that would be nice and portable for your purposes if you can find something of this nature near your house.

9. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

Hey guys!

Wow that is a lot of great info. I never thought of a fabric catch box to avoid loosing ammo before. If I could avoid loosing ammo I could definitely justify spending a bit more on some heavier balls!

I will definitely have a think about how I could make something...

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

For target shooting it is hard to beat the durability of steel.

However lead of the same size hits so much harder, and really isn't that hard to get setup to cast your own.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Catch boxes have been discussed quite a bit on the forum - you can find some great inspiration looking at the different ways people have approached this issue. I do agree, a catch box is the way to go - I lose far less ammo that way. Here is just one that I found doing a quick search:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/indoor-catchbox-33188/

As for ammo itself, I've bought most of it online - with Ebay being the best source - I try to buy in bulk and just hope it lasts for a while since it's expensive to ship. Recently, SimpleShot did a promo here in the US where I got a nice 10# bag of 7/16" steel for a great price - and the shipping was included. It's the best deal I've found on ammo so far - but that's a special offer only and wasn't open to folks outside the US. Keep your eyes open, you may find a good deal yourself from time to time.

12. korg20000bc

korg20000bc Hairy Biped

When shooting hex nuts what is the best way to hold them in the sling?
    - laying flat on the pouch leather, narrow plane towards looking from above or with the hole visible when looking from above?

13. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Fabric ammo catch

Here's a quick rough and ready video from my phone if you still need ideas for a light portable ammo catch in the woods. Suitable for round ammo and up to 20 metres.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXCSyVNIMY&sns=em[/ame]

My apologies to those who have seen my ammo catch a hundred times but I just love it.

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

UK ammo

Simplybearings.co.uk offer free shipping and I have had excellent customer care. No lead but steel in every size imaginable. Not financially linked just a satisfied customer. And when they say next day delivery it really is.

15. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

@JimRhodo: I just watched your vid of your fabric ammo catch...it is a great design. I am gonna have to look at making something similar I think!! Also glad to hear that you had good service from simply bearings. I think I will get my next batch of ammo from them.

BTW: where abouts do you shoot? Is that your land or public woodland?

BillyBob

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Good question

Its municipal land. I think those who know I use it turn a blind eye as I don't draw attention to myself, generally I leave it cleaner than I find it and I don't shoot at the deer the squirrels the foxes the rabbits and birds which frequent the place. I hope I'm just seen as a harmless eccentric. There are footpaths nearby so it's not entirely isolated.

It has become one of my favourite spots and will be very sorry if I ever have to move on.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

@JimRhodo: This sounds like exactly like the type of place I will have to shoot. I dont have any land of my own but a very similar place (to yours) exists close to where I work. Also there are some small woodlands etc a short cycle ride away from my home...so I am hoping to find a secluded spot where I wount bother anyone.

18. korg20000bc

korg20000bc Hairy Biped

Has anyone used ceramic pie weights for ammo?
    They are ceramic balls used to keep pastry in the correct shape when it is being baked into a pie form.
    [​IMG]

19. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Ceramic shot

I remember costing up a small packet and it was quite expensive per shot. But then any shot in small amounts is expensive if you don't recycle.

I used mint imperials at one stage partly as it was amusing but as serious ammo they got sticky weren't perfectly spherical (morrisons did the most symmetrical brand). And of course one bag wasn't cheap compared with a kilo of steel.

I started a chart of comparison but stopped at Simply Bearings and asked myself do I want to be lumbered with a kilo of steel bearings if I decide I want to change to 8mm from 9.5?

If on average I shoot 20-30 per day at say 3p per shot:

60p to 90p/day= £4.20 to £6.30/ week:
    £218.40 to £327.60 / year

And many shoot a lot more than that. As for buying lead or 12mm steel each time my current account won't even let me go there.