What's going on? Instinct vs Aim.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by KnuckieG, Aug 12, 2013.

1. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

I haven't been shooting for that long a few months now and I'm developing a feel for shots but my problem is this:-

When I do snap shots (pull bands,aim,release in at max 2 seconds) I'm accurate I hit everything 8 out of 10 times. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a pfs, hammergrip, gansta style, pinch the pouch, fistgrip, reverse fistgrip, length of bands or tubes I just go for it and it mostly works.

BUT... When I take my time aim carefully watch my technique I'm missing targets 99 times out of a 100 and those targets are way closer than with my instinctual shooting. My judgement of elevation goes out the window shots bear left,right just terrible terrible shooting.

Has anyone else have experience of this? If so what on Earth is going on?

2. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

nothing strange, just shoot the way you feel, seems your conscience brain cortex fighting against your conscienceless hypothalamus ... don't "think", let the shoot flow LOL !
    Cheers
    Arturo

3. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I can only point out that as the bands cool, they loose strength. I don't know how much impact this has on your shot, I can only think that it is better to shoot quickly.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this issue. I'm not sure if it is psychological or my bad eyesight, but I tend to suffer from the same issue.

5. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Gracias Arturo I think you're right and I think it ties in with you Will as well. Even though we are doing it in a snap movement we're still aiming aren't we? But just not letting the worry of expectation jinx the shot. And Odins_Zornn I wonder if that is a factor? Certainly it would be interesting to hear others take on that idea!

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

It becomes very evident when I shoot sporting clays with my shotgun. If I let it flow and let the shot be spontaneous, I usually hit very well. I should try and apply that to my slingshot, see what happens.

7. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Let go, Knuckie. Use the Force.

I'm the same way, gave up on aiming too.

8. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Lol! I will Studer or I'll never hit a thing lol! I've watched those two Bill Hays tuition videos over and over it just won't sink in. Same with GK John's ttf video I look at it I understand it but when I try suddenly a whole bunch of variables creep in that nobody covers. Just quick aim and shoot not worrying about Anchor points or Forks seems to work at the moment but man I look at Arturo,Tobias,BH and GK John and boy I envy that certainty!

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I know I'll never be a slingshot sniper, but trying to aim, as opposed to instinctive shooting is just too frustrating.

10. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Ot you've started me off now on Jorge's video The Entropy Slayer 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3t2_AX8HUk#at=189 the effects of heating and cooling are pretty clear.

Y'know I've watched loads of you tube chrony tests from many shooters the second shot is faster and more powerful often the third shots even faster and powerful than the second.

I'll freely admit I'm no Dan ZPD so if it's been demonstrated before I apologise but it's the first time it's occurred to me there might be a connection between heat generated and speed/power. In most videos there's a cut off point for gains after 3 shots or so rarely 4. With me watching as a viewer of course.

The explanation of Hysteresis is a bit beyond me but is it basically saying Rubber's got muscle memory. So the first shot heats the band like an athlete's warm up,then a practise then an explosive extertion. If the Athlete does all 3 parts in one short session it will be more productive than spreading it over a longer session. Because if it is Ot mate you might well be right because it's way easier to remember a short movement than a long one. And that would I assume make snap shots less work than long held aimed shots for the Rubber to recover from? And that would make shots more consistent because the rubbers more stable I wonder? Hope I'm making sense?:confused:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  11. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

For me it goes like this:

I can shoot on instinct - Then I sometimes hit straight on, sometimes I miss by a great deal

I can focus and aim - This always results in bad accuracy

I can FOCUS and aim - If I manage to do this, I usually gets more consistent accuracy.

I hope you see what I mean? :D

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I do indeed see what you mean, I like this philosophy

13. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

Guys, this is no issue!!!! This is using what we have been developing for hundreds of thousands or milions or however many years!!! Through cave man and all the other periods. To throw or shoot at something and hit it just from reflex. Of corse there will be misses and bad days or whatever, it would be in-human if there weren't.
    All we have to do is to re-learn to trust our instinkts!!! ;)

14. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I had this problem also and just gave up on aiming. But I do ok with instinctive shooting and don't need much adjustment time when I switch between forks so I don't bother aiming anymore.

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I think your "problem" is one many wish we had. When I take my time and treat it as a rifle shot I hit consistently accurate. Thing is, when the zombies attack, your quick shooting style will do you well, i'll get eaten:eek:.

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm not so sure I can trust my instincts. The last time I threw something without bothering to aim ended with me running for my life.

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

My instincts tell me that I need more beer, since I can't work today and tomorrow....

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^:D
    Now thats an instinct I can trust, always!:D

19. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Failureisalwaysanoption: Afraid I don't follow unless you're meaning aim small, miss small (use smaller targets or focus your aim at a smaller detail of a larger target)?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  20. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Hello,
    You should look at videos that encourage you to learn how to aim as foundational in nature... meaning that they teach you the technique, the stance and the concepts of accuracy...... then after you understand the basics, let your own body and mind "forget" all you know and just shoot.....
    It's actually very very easy for me to shoot "instinctually", that is very quickly... and I can shoot very well that way.... but you'll notice I don't do it very often in my videos because I'm shooting at very small targets from a decent distance... so there's micro corrections that are made in my shot alignment that take a touch longer than simply point and shoot.
    But shooting at a large target like a can.... there's just no need to really aim after you're used to shooting very small, so it doesn't take much time.