what woods are good to use for high stress

Discussion in 'Tutorial videos' started by JaggerJagger, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

I have an unlimited, nearly anyway, supply of pine and ill use that at least for designing, but for my birthday, or when i can afford it i was thinking of making my newest idea, which involves high stress, out of African black wood. Just let me know, and also im new to woodcarving so any tips on that would be helpfull. Im new to the forums so if im doing something wrong feel free to let me know.

2. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Of we're talking about real African Blackwood rather than ebony then I can tell you that it is very hard indeed...a bit like carving glass!

I haven't made much in it and the only bit I can find is a little tool handle I made years ago.

It won't need any varnishing...believe me, it is way too hard to absorb anything. Just buff with progressively finer finishes.

Attached Files:

3. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Yes, definately real African Blackwood if i can get it, thats an awsome handle by the way, wish i could do that!:D:D

4. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

So you get an idea how strong each is

African Blackwood
    Modulus of Rupture: 30,970 lbf/in2 (213.6 MPa)

And depending on what pine you have it will be around 10,000 lbf/in2

Cheers
    Saderath

5. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I got some Brazilian Cherry this weekend. it was strong and cheaper then some of the other exotic hard woods. This African wood may be stronger but what is the need. what I think is that you are overestimating the power of the rubber. But I probably don't have enough experience in this.

6. rock slinger

http://kookaburrakatties.blogspot.com.au/p/streng.html

I plan on using this method for mega strength, but it may be un nessesary. If you want to test a design use plywood or multiplex as pine board is too weak but you could make a split frame. Natural forks are also stronger than anything and they are free.

7. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

You have more experience than me. Period. What about two hundred twenty five pounds stress? Just thinking, and thank you all for the replies!

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

It's not the rubber breaking a boardcut you have to worry about, a seemingly non-serious fork hit can fracture the wood leading to the possibility of failure during the draw. Always use the hardest woods if you don't plan on reinforcement.

9. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Well, I have had rubber break a board cut...1" poplar with plenty of width allowed at the vulnerable point. Fortunately I spotted the crack just in time.
    That was with TTS...but the post did mention SERIOUS stress.

But, unless you have access to a free supply of this very expensive wood, might not a build in something staid and reliable like Beech be worth considering ?

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Walnut is tough as nails and fairly cheap as is hickory. Ruthie, tts on a boardcut? You're mad;)! That musta been a bad mofo board of poplar to hold for very long at all.

11. rock slinger

If you could pull 225pounds on a band set then I would pay you a million$$. You are thinking 50 pounds (I thinck) that would be max strength of band set. And is strength is all about the thickness and design. To bang variables for me to tell. And as I said I don't have enough expire nice in this.