What wood is this

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

A buddy of mine gave me this, what is it?

Attached Files:

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Really hard to guess--some kind of fruit wood maybe, like cherry or plum(or apricot or peach etc).

Looks like a winner from here:cool:
    Sounds like a cool friend.

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'd guess black oak based on what I can tell of the bark texture, but the pic is blurry and without leaves or a good look at the grain it's hard to tell.

-Wild Bill

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I think I have something similar in my woodstack(mine is not black oak, it doesn't grow in ger)

5. justinboone

justinboone New Member

I was thinking cherry

6. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

REALLY looks like elm. Lots of it where I live, so I'm pretty sure.

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

looks like california live oak to me, are you in cali by chance?

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

You really need to post the fork's point of origin, as well as some leaves if possible. And more pictures couldn't hurt either...
    ... that said I believe I can narrow your search some. After much careful and extensive research I have concluded that this particular specimen belongs to the Plantae kingdom.

9. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Keep in mind that this was given to me so I have no extras it is also red where the grain is, and yes dolomite I live in California

10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Dolo and I are on the same path- Black oak and Cali-Oak are pretty much synonymous. From here, I'd suggest that you dry it (if it is in need of such) and start working the wood. How it responds to your cutting, carving and rasping will tell you much about how useful it is. If it accepts your working without gouging or tearing then you probably have oak or something comparable in hardness and thus a good slingshot. If not, then well, now you know.

-Wild Bill