What wood if not plywood?

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by thehornedal, Aug 31, 2013.

1. thehornedal

thehornedal Junior Member

Hello!
    I have seen beautiful slingshots that's not made from either plywood or multiplex. but what wood can i use for that so it doesn't break? If you can name some woods it would be great! :)

-Rikard

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Baller-Bub

Baller-Bub New Member

Hi Rikard
    You can use any hardwood, beech or oak for instance are quite
    cheap. Even the most fruit trees are hardwood, such as cherry or apple.
    Also the most precious woods are very hard.
    Purple heart, mahagony, zebrano, cocobolo....
    you can get them all at ebay...

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Board cuts can be made....but there is a breaking chance. Laminating with aluminum fix that. Other solution is laminating the same wood with 90 degrees angle of the grain.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

hardwoods are best however, some hardwoods are not very hard. balsa is a hard wood but no one in their right mind would use it. Heart pine is a very hard softwood, so it can be confusing. My technique, which isn't for everyone, is first to try and sink a kanine into the board. If you make a deep mark it's probably not good slingy material. step two is the potential heartbreaker, after you make your new beauty, try to break it. if it breaks it was no good. I have a pfs I swore would break, the handle is the size of my finger but it didn't break. I had a manzanita with forks nearly twice thumb size break when tested, there were worm holes. hope this helps.

5. thehornedal

Thanks guys!
    I will get a small 21x95mm oak plank for testing a boardcut! But with the grain in 90 degrees should they be vertical or horisontal?

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

the grain should be vertical when you aren't crossing the gain, if you are it doesn't really matter

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Many nice slings I have seen of oak cut thin and a second piece glued at 90°. Oak has very straight grain, so I always thought this was a good idea.
    If the board cut comes from a fork in the tree, the grain of the crotchwood is already lined up perfectly against the forces, and crazy tough.

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Try to get an aluminum plate, thin, and glue it between two planks. Like a sandwich.
    You can cut and work with this just like wood. And thw result is strong snd beautifull!

9. thehornedal

Thanks brazil and the other guys!

Brazil i asked my dad and he telled the same thing as you so we are gonna get a aluminiumm plate soon but i dont know when! :=)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

since you are using an ally plate, don't cross the grain-at least in back. From experience(almost destroyed a nice pfs) one fork hit on horizontal oak grain will blow out the fork tip. on vertical grain you can't even tell you had a hit. glad I got used to pfs-no more tip strikes.

11. thehornedal