What type of multiplex should I use?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ABH1, May 5, 2013.

1. ABH1

ABH1 Member

There are many types of multiplex, I usually use the cheapest about 8 euros x meter squared, but I'm not shure which multiplex is best for slingshots, what about the one Joerg uses? (I don't know the type) hope you can help me, thanks for reading.

2. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

I think he uses 18mm Birch or Beech Multiplex

3. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I'm wondering if the typical pine-based plywood found here in the USA would be equally suitable. I have tons of scrap lying around.

4. ABH1

ABH1 Member

I imagine joerg could tell us, so Joerg which is the one you use?

5. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

I have some here too, but it totally loses against a proper plate of multiplex. No other wood has such a stability, the pine based is way softer.:rolleyes:

6. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

It's usable. Not as strong as the muliplex/ Baltic Birch stuff. That has thinner layers and more of them for a given thickness. That means more glue. = stronger. And some N. Amer. plywood has colored glue which can look ****ty. I've got some sheets that have hot pink glue.!!:eek: Plus the BB ply is voidless. But if you get your SS cut out and there are voids on the edges, you can mix glue with saw dust and stuff it full.

7. toe2thaknee

toe2thaknee Shot Slinger

If you are going to put the time into making a slingshot, get higher quality; if you are just going to go for it and use pine be sure the blades are very sharp and you are slow and careful when cutting; I've found that it's really easy for small sections of it to chip or hollow out leaving gashes or nicks in a single layer and it's always disappointing to have to use wood filler.

8. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Well, I'm not going for quality or accuracy, I just want something to launch some quick test projectiles that Jorge manages to inspire me to create.

It would likely never go past the boundaries of my patio, so being powerful enough to penetrate isn't an issue, either.

I'd also be using some very cheap elastics as well. Why sully up a good slingshot body with sub-par rubber?