What to use to replace leather

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Tomza, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Tomza

Tomza New Member

Hello! Today i made my first slingshot i got it work very well and now im planning to do another one and i dont have any leather left :( i have leather jackets but its too thin for slingshot i tried to use it but it broke so im here to ask What to use instead of the leather?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Courier

Courier Senior Member

3. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

ducttape works, but you could also laminate the thin leather

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Im with Onnod about the Duct Tape!

6. Tomza

Tomza New Member

i got it working with duct tape and string :) cannot shoot tiny objects but medium size rocks etc :)

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

what about a woven pouch made out of nylon strings? like the inner strands of paracord?

8. Spatzenterrorist

Spatzenterrorist New Member

simple trick: you simply take some ducttape fold it( you will never ever get it disconected:D)..when you only have to atach the bands...worksreally good and somehow qite better as lether ( for big things like stomes....)

9. BrPio

BrPio .

Something I'v don if I want to strengthen the leather is superglue a loop made of paracord along the back edge of a pouch . For me It works, been able to tie a buttload of bands to the weakest of leathers without a rip.

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i wanted to give cordage pouches a try and was very surprised how well it performs. this pouch i made from 4mm nylon cord mantle without the inner strands. so it weighs less (~1g) and tying is much easier. i tried to pull it apart with the force of 35kg (75lb) but that did nothing to it. shooting with this pouch was very comfortable and accurate besides handslaps hurt a bit more than with leather pouches depending what kind of slingshots i used.

pouch.jpg

here with 16mm steel ball:

pouch demo.jpg

since this cord fits perfect in an arrow nock, i made a binding for slingbows out of one piece of cord (same as for the pouch before):

slingbow.jpg
    slingbow demo.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  11. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

nylon straps from backpack
    that is what im using next

12. Moin moin,

Insoles for shoes ....
    but please not needed if you have a pull up near the nose ....!

[​IMG]

They are tear-resistant, lightweight, not so rough, you can buy them easily ....
    At the beginning pretty hard, so I like it - I think the ball then dissolves better ---
    The leather is soft but soon as kangaroo leather.

Sie sind reißfest, leicht, nicht so rauh, man kann sie leicht kaufen....
    Am anfang schön hart, so mag ich es - ich finde die Kugel löst sich dann besser, ---
    Das Leder wird dann aber schnell weich, wie Kängeruh leder.

13. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i know, not really a household item, but there will come times where it's easier to get a hand on aramid/kevlar then on leather.

anybody tested it yet? just curious if that will work as a slingshot pouch ...

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

just found out, that amazon sells kevlar wicks for oil/petroleum lamps in different widths. maybe i buy some to try them out. thickness they say is 3mm, .... umhh .... hope it doesn't weigh much ...

15. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Kevlar sounds interesting...

16. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Is there a tutorial video or diagram on how to tie both of these somewhere? That's really cool! You don't find that the pouch slips over the ball? Could a ball pouch be made with a loop on the back side to attach the release to?

17. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

They also sell the same stuff in a 1.6mm thickness (type in either 1/16" or 1.6mm kevlar wick). That should be ideal. :cool:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  18. kenyon-slingshots

kenyon-slingshots New Member

I made a pouch with duct tape pouch bit heavy does the job tho

19. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

due to the weaving it naturally creates some kind of depression in the middle of the pouch, not too much that it would be dangerous i think.

keep in mind that the weaving of the pouch has to be different if other cord thicknesses are used or for making the pouch bigger or smaller. also if you want to create a loop for a release.

important: snip the ends but leave ~5mm that has to be heated up and pressed flat to not slip back through the knots.

knots.jpg

20. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thanx pelleteer! :)