What to do ...? some input...!

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by LW, Aug 6, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

I'm a bit unsure of my new project, so I thought I'd just ask here in the forum.

I made some sketches show the possible candidates.
    Just FYI, the pinky will go through the hole, like a ring on a finger. (picture B / C / D)

With intention I would not say what material or whether flat or round fork,
    maybe you can see something different in the pictures than I do.

Or is that all the nonsense and I have to think about something new?

I would appreciate a little input.

alle.jpg

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i hate to decide. narrow or wide fork, slim or broad forktips, small or big slingshot, ...

small or big ammo? strong or light bandset?

did you try the non-hole-pinky-grip on a model before?

one thing i have on all of my slingshots is a possibility to attach a lanyard.

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

At e,f and a you could add the lanyard hole at the top part of the c are these design usable? I really love all of the I would say wide fork :) please let me know :D and hope you make up your mind :)

J

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

These are really good designs. I think model A would be great, but perhaps with the forks of model D. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

5. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

I say not wich you would make, because i would not be blame when you make the wrong.

6. artons

artons New Member

i really love the first one, A
    probably because i don't apreciate so much the hole for the pinky.
    about the band attachment style, i like more the other, it gives you the possibility of using larger bands and consequently it gives you more power (i suppose)
    but probably everyone of these designs would be awesome made by you ;)

7. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

I vote for A.
    And I agree with Will - maybe D forks on it.
    Great ideas all of them.

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I agree with Will's proposition... Wider forktips can hold the bands spreaded, and the pinky finger place looks anatomical. I dislike holes for the smaller finger of the hand, because it can get trapped an twisted if the slingshot escapes the hand (hard to believe, but sh$& happens.. ). A ringshaped tip can break this finger, and only the A frame offers a comfortable place and a safe escape route!
    If you are thinking on pfs accuracy style, maybe you can make the space between the forks smaller too.

9. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Totally agree with Will and Snader. A with D-forks. It is a very nice design and I would love to see it in real!

10. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Let me join. "A"

I think that's fine for more finger sizes and finger length.
    Maybe if you move the joint (the neck part of the pinky support) a little bit to the left side, don't know... it could be more comfortable for a longer shooting session. Just take a look on the E and F versions. That curvature seems better for me, if I just watch this left side of the "neck joint". It's more platform/plate like.

No matter what it will be cool, for sure! Best of luck with it!

11. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I would like to see the fork and neck from F and the pinky rest from A. F has a low and wide fork that will give you lots of power. I just hope you include a comfortable palm-swell.

Either way all of those look really good. Hope you end up with something you like.

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I have an idea! Make all six! :D ...No?

I like the type A... Yes, absolutley, that's the one! Go for it! :D

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Frames B, C, D, are pretty much Gamekeeper Johns Knock-offs. Frames A, E, F, are only variations on a done deal..
    Sorry. It is really hard to re-invent the wheel around here.

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

you are right, a slingshot remains a slingshot, but these are off-centered and still don't look like pocket predators from bill hays. :D

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^
    Hmmm. I think if our wheels were not re-invented every now and again, they would still be made of stone.

16. Tremoside

On one side I agree with you totally. I think most of us do. The big names are already created the generic / default layouts. It's a secure way to make variations based on these. With tiny modifications and great craftsmanship the new, modified solutions still can be outstanding.

On the other side we are lucky with slingshots as product and as a hobby. There's no two same hands, drawing power and shooting style, or even a budget for a super quality custom slingshot. Focusing on the custom elements in the future can open advantages and challenges. I think LW tries to develop an important detail. Maybe we will call it "The LW Hook" in the future. Who knows?

You pointed out an important question and you're right, I just think our "task" here is (beside having fun:D) to pushing the limits towards. :cool:

17. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I find also the Grip from A very nice, but prefer the Fork from D or E.
    I look forward to your finished Slingshot :D

18. LW

LW New Member

Maybe you misunderstand my writing „…new Project…“, should not mean a never done Slingshot. As you already mentioned, it is hard to reinvent the wheel.
    I believe that 80% of my build slingshots or even some parts of them are copied from other slingshot I have seen on the Internet in a video or somewhere else.
    But that does not matter. I like the slingshots from Bill, Joerg, Nathan, Gamekeeper and many people here.
    I've also rebuild many of the original Slingshots, which I have not posted because it makes no sense to me. You all know them.
    But I rebuild them for two reasons.

First, I already mentioned in some post, I have small Hands, so an original build Slingshot bought from the internet makes no sense for me, because they don’t fit in my hands. I already tested it. And it is a disaster. So I rebuild them and scaled them to my Hand size.
    But even that would be too easy for me, so I almost always change something. That is the second reason.

For example:
    At the time I like shooting the thumb support style. And I was very curious how the well known “Pocket Rocket” by Gamekeeper shoots.
    So I rebuild it and change it - I made the forks narrower, it is deeper, I center out the middle section, the pinky hole, I have turned it slightly to the side, made it smaller and a different design.

PR01.jpg
    PR02.jpg

All these changes are a small evolutions for me, nothing fundamentally new, but different. Maybe it turns out that the changes were nonsense, then I will of course no longer pursue them.
    It's like in nature, things that do not work, are dying out very quickly, but everything happens in very small steps. Rarely, very rarely there is an evolutionary leap, and these can be compared with completely new inventions.
    Ten years ago I studied Industrial design, and I work for a big car company, a household appliances manufacturer and some more. I can tell you the process of making a new car or a kitchen machine is 70% to 90% copying the older one or the form of the competition company.
    But that's exactly what the companies want. No one has the mood for experiments. My boss once told me. You always have to recognize the old product in the new item. It often has a sentimental component.
    So I did not make the claim for each of my new Slingshots to be an never seen model. That would not work. No one can do this.
    I love to change things that are already there, that have been well proven.

If I now have disappointed you with the way I work, I'm sorry, but I do not claim to be a genius…

I hope you still like my Slingshots…

19. Tremoside

What you wrote is truly right! And your slingshots are great!

Developing something is hard and time consuming but you have the sense for that. I think most of the people (including myself for sure) can learn from your workflow.

Keep it up!:)

20. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

In as few words as possible: it is your new build, not your new design.