What To Choose!! Which is Best??

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Aus_sweetnam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Aus_sweetnam

Aus_sweetnam Professional Crayon-Eater

Hello! I'm going to buy the nato green Rambone, but i don't know whether i should buy the tubular rubber or the flatband configuration. I have made slingshots before but I'm yet to fit the rubber because i simply don't know which is best!? Can anyone help? --AUS--

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Flat rubber is better for my opinion

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Buy it with flat rubber and buy a tube band set up too then play around and see which one you prefer :)

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I'd say it depends what your climate is this time of year... It's been noted by many that tubes don't perform well in the cold,but much better longevity overall. If you want to shoot out in snow and cold, like i'm dealing with here,several layers of thinner flats perform better than 1 or 2 layers of thicker rubber. So, hard to give any real advice without knowing your ammo choice and climate..? If you post that and your draw length, i'm sure you will get good advice from several members much more experienced than me.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Flat bands will probably give you more speed/power. Tubes IMO last much longer. And since I weight 175 lbs, I'm 61, and have no need to get into "who's is bigger" contests any more, I tend to prefer tubes for everyday shooting.

Depends on your style and what you want.

I do know that my main slingshot "rifle" that I shoot every day has over 600 rounds through it now, and I'm working up to 800, with no problems. I don't think you see that kind of longevity with most band setups. But I could be wrong. As for knowing how many rounds I've put through it, I started off with 200 rounds of .45 cal lead balls. I shoot until I'm out of balls, when I empty my catchbox, count them, sort out any banged up too badly to use. I've cleaned out my catchbox 4 times since I made the ammo and put together that shooter. Soon to clean it out again. I "may" put in 10-15 rounds per cycle through another slingshot, testing, or letting someone try a slingshot.

So I am estimating how many rounds I've put through that SS Rifle, but at this point I'd bet that it is pretty close to 800.

6. Zer0OneZer0

Zer0OneZer0 Member

I thought it was flats that performed terribly in cold. I live in Montana, and its winter right now and my flats perform much, much worse than my tubes. In fact I don't seem to realize much of a difference with my tubes in cold or warm.

-Rulz1523

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That's my experience as well.

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Well i really havn't had a full winter of shooting yet and all i've been shooting is flats... I based my response on what i've read other places and one was by Tex-Shooter on SSF. I've been searching for "winter shooting slingshot bands" for my own interests and the general lookout was several thin layers over thick singles or doubles. I have no experience with tubes other than that yellow daisy garbage so i'm by no means staging a strongly biased opinion...

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like the idea suggested above of buying it with one with a set of bands and buying a separate set of tubes so you can try both setups. That way, you'll know what works best for you. I personally prefer flat bands over tubes myself, but that's just my preference.

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I have no preference of tubes over flats so I ordered my Rambone with tubes knowing that I can easily go to flats if I wish.
    VWScooby said it best, buy both bandsets and see what you like

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I have no preference of tubes over flats so I ordered my Rambone with tubes knowing that I can easily go to flats if I wish.
    VWScooby said it best, buy both bandsets and see what you like

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Don't worry about "best"!

Until you've shot both you have no idea which one suits you.
    To me that is more important than which one is "best".

And "Best" doesn't define things well, best at what?

Try both, and start learning which works better for you.

13. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

flat rubber is more powerfull
    butt tubes last longer

Enes

14. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I don't use flats anymore because mine just break all the time and it takes forever to cut them to size.