What slingshot to buy...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Walrus, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Walrus

Walrus Oh Great Walrus Chieftain of the AsUhmahaki Walrus

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Build one!!! It is Funnier!!!

3. zwillie

zwillie New Member

4. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

I'd avoid it like the plague! Untrustworthy alloys, really uncomfortable to hold, cheap and nasty. Look on ebay in the £10 - £20 price bracket and get a birchply made by an Artisan in the UK (postage and customs won't rob you lol!) if you'd like specific ones pm me but seriously you're spoilt for choice :)

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I actually have a very similar frame. I was going to post about it actually. It was a drunken buy (Me, Whiskey and Ebay are a bad combo!) but its not a badly built frame.

Mine has the usual Chinese style band fittings instead of the rather dangerous ball-in-tube fitting. It weighs 180g so has a decent weight, its very comfortable in finger support grip ( I have pretty large but slim hands if that makes sense) and for the money Im impressed.

Ive swung off it in a vice so have no worries about the strength of it torsionally, not sure how it will handle a fork hit though.

It is VERY cheap on ebay. It comes with a set of bands with a very odd attachment but I just replaced it with looped bands as it comes set up for them. Like everyone said making your own is satisfying and you will know the strength etc but not every Chinese frame is rubbish.

Ebay link to the frame I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290958443964?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I agree. I would love a Gamekeeper Catapult, but I am not in the UK. I will order one from John at some point.

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Build one, or buy that one and figure out how to wrap it in leather. Customize it, make it yours in other words.

That one wouldn't be my first choice if I was to buy. I'd want light weight, drive a truck over it strong, dependable, that would last though hundreds of bands and 100,000 rounds of everything from big lead chunks to big steel balls.

9. Moin moin,
    small hands,
    but then want to subtract 3 compartment latex ....

Catch it out properly, with small caliber for shaking, and the bands are not as fast. Then injuries to the hand or so, not so bad ....!
    -
    As already mentioned above, build it yourself ......

FOR EXAMPLE a forked branch, one gets for small hands, 8mm steel ball, and this beautiful ribbons ......!
    -
    -
    -

kleine Hände,
    aber dann 3 Fach Latex ziehen wollen....

Fangt doch mal richtig an, mit kleinem Kaliber zum Schleudern, und Bänder die nicht ganz so schnell sind. Dann werden Verletzungen an der Hand oder so, auch nicht so schlimm....!
    -
    Wie oben schon gesagt, Selber bauen......

Z.B. eine Astgabel, die bekommt man auch für schmale Hände, 8mm Stahlkugel, und dazu schöne Bänder......!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I have a Gamekeeper John myself. He does nice work and his stuff is reasonably priced for many of his models. He's in the UK himself, so shipping costs wouldn't be too high. I've got a couple of those cheap Chinese imports. Like some others have said, be careful with them as you may not be able to be certain of the material used to make them. You can also check online for Dankung slingshots. You should be able to find something for a decent price there. They carry some similar metal slingshots that cost a bit more than the Ebay models, but are made with real steel. One of the members here, Dolomite, just got one himself.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

if you dont want to build one get a dankung, make sure its off of dankung.com only,i love mine.

12. Jeremy

Which Dankung do you have Dolo?

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Jeremy, I have the Dancing Hunter. It's an ergo model with the traditional looped fork tips. With just paracord its very comfortable. Accuracy and power are very good. The second day I had it I got its first marble explosion on only my fourth shot of the day from 20'. Theres nothing like the sound of steel shot on a glass marble, very rewarding. The quality is top notch, polish job is perfect, the weight is comforting, only bad thing is shipping takes 13 bussiness days to cali. Just be sure to order from dankung.com so you don't get a fugazi zinc p.o.s.

14. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

If you're in UK-GB... Highly regarded, traditional "old school" slings = http://www.majorslingshots.com/index.html
    The "new school" HDPE slings = http://www.majorslingshots.com/index.html

Milbro products are more costly and high end. Major's products are more economically priced, virtually indestructible HDPE plastic. If I was in GB, unburdened by knowledge and just starting out, I'd contact both of them via email and pick their brains. If I lived in GB right now, I'd be buying from Major.

Happy shopping and good luck with the hunt!

15. Jeremy

Would you recommend the Dankung dancing hunter or a Flippinout Scout since I can probably only get one right now.

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Haven't tried a scout so I can't say but they do have a reputation for being quality equipment. As far as dankung I love mine and would trust any model that fits your style, theres so many to choose from, from small traditional chinese styles to global models made with "western shooters" in mind. I like narrow forks so I went traditional. I love shiny stuff though, if you like the fibre look and wider forks go with the Scout as it takes all elastic and shooting styles in mind. Both have unparalleled quality in their class so its what you preffer here. Hope this was a help and not making your decision harder.

17. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

yes GKJ would be a good choice in UK, I am with zwillie for the price and look seems a zinc alloy DANGEROUS !
    Cheers
    Arturo