What Should I Do With This Fork?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by WildBill, Nov 30, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I walked to the store today- it was a good excuse to go by the river- and I found this- a Sycamore tree that was growing at the river bank. The bank is a small, 2 meter cliff face and the Sycamore's roots had grown through the cliff and into the river below. The exposed roots had an exotic, knarled, gothic shape that was irresistible. I cut me a large piece which is pictured below.

So the question is- what style of slingshot would this be most suited for? A natural, obviously, but more specifically my question is this- based on the shape, what grip and fork style should I try to do with this? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i think this would make a nice moorehammer

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

don´t take me serious!

Burn it!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchwE9zVdnw[/ame]

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but, I think you should make it into a slingshot.:D

5. WildBill

Well, sarcasm is your default, after all. However, this isn't a limb- it's a root. So you'll have to go out on a root instead. Precarious, no?

-Wild Bill

6. WildBill

I had that thought, but I'm not sure that a natural would hold up to the Moorhammer stresses. I can try it if all else fails.

-Wild Bill

7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

think you just might pull it off with this fork

and remember that failure is always an option
    and the best lessons are learned when you fail

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very precarious I don't think I've ever been out on a root before...

9. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

wood strong like bull! i would try to leave as much of the fork as possible...its wide i know, but the shape is great, like horns. make the tips pointy ! too bad the right arm is longer

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

You can always make it thicker at the stress points.That's one of the benefits of starting with a large fork, you can adapt the design to fit the fork. Just remember to test it with rope like Joerg always says if you're not sure.

11. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

As far as the forks go, I'd keep them fairly thick. As to the handle, as long as it feels solid, I'd feel free to carve until your happy.

Looking forward to seeing this evolve!

12. WildBill

It's wide and also pretty big. I too like the horns idea- 'strong like bull' (gee, that sounds a bit Russian) and with the natural twists in the root it might actually have a somewhat gazelle look to it. It would look pretty but I dunno if it would be a practical shooter at that size, though.

-Wild Bill

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Just strip the bark, round the tips and band it up! It looks like Hellboys horns! Giant, horned slingshot would be different if nothing else

14. WildBill

Yes, it would be different, but difficult. It's kinda hard to tell in the pictures but the two 'horns' don't point in the same direction. One goes up from the final joint while the other goes at about a 65 degree angle from the other. I don't think I could attach bands to that configuration and have it shoot safely.

-Wild Bill

15. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

no nuts,... no glory

16. WildBill

Pbltz.

-Wild Bill

17. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

???

18. WildBill

Pbltz is a labial fricative... a textual raspberry.

-Wild Bill

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

:p < this may have saved the confusion

(Ok, Im just taking the mickey after your smilie thread ;) )

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Shame about the forks not being level, maybe drilling holes, using tubes and shooting TTF?
    Probably more trouble than its worth. Im sure something will reveal itself in time :)