what ply and where to buy in uk?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by keithymonster, Jun 7, 2013.

1. keithymonster

keithymonster New Member

Hey guys hoping to get a little help from someone in the uk . I am looking to start making slingshots out of ply/plex but don't know where to get it, what kind to use and how much I should be paying for it? any help would be awesome. also as I start to knock out some slingshots I will be making copys to trade for more homemade slingshots do ppl do a lot of trading on here ?

2. keithymonster

keithymonster New Member

guving this post alittle bump due to the fact when i posted it, it was the middle of the night in the uk :)

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Sorry, pal. I've never been in the U.K., but in Brazil you may find it in the Leroy Merlin store.:D

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well, my best advice would be to order online. Its quite difficult to find quality, no-void plywood in my part of the colonies, but I have found several sites that have both great prices and reasonable shipping. In fact, I believe a couple sites I found were in the UK.
    As for the types of plywood, I believe many people here use a top-quality birch or beech void-free plywood, and generally they seem to prefer 18mm (11/16" aprox.) plywood. I will do some research and see if I can find a UK based site and then I will post the link for you. In the meantime, happy hunting!

5. keithymonster

keithymonster New Member

awesome thanks will :) super helpful

6. i got my multiplex from a hole that a builder patched up in my roof. it is high quality but i need to ask him where he got it from. i also live in the uk

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I also live in the uk and i think some wickes online stores you can order birch plywood hardwood plywood and many more for very reasonable prices!!! i hope that helps you because i've bought my 1 by 1 meter batch of it!!!

J

8. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Wickes, B&Q any real DIY supply outlet.

Ideally you want to be using either hardwood ply or marine ply as both are tough and designed for hard wearing applications.

You are looking at about £20 for a large board 20mm thick which should be more than enough to get you going. Here's a link to the stuff:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/110401

9. Peteyspine

Peteyspine New Member

I bought mine in a DIY store. Normally they have leftovers from large Boards. Mine was 50 % off.

Or go to a carpenter and ask him for leftovers.