What makes Theraband?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by FIAAO, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

My daughter has seen the wrong end of my shotgun once, at 3 am when she was supposed to be at a sleepover, not coming home. And rattling pans in the kitchen with the lights off was just plain asking for the scare she got.

Obviously plans changed. She learned to call first, just so we knew.

No one was shot, I ALWAYS verify target before taking the safety off. Almost 20 years of teaching firearms safety just screwed that into my head.

That being said I certainly do believe in the power of a 12 gauge racking shut. My daughter turned 3 shades of green, both hands FLEW into the air.

I also believe there are circumstances where less than lethal force could be vital. Someone on a drunk, someone so angry they don't hear you, or similar situation where a person is into tunnel vision, concentrating on one thing. Like ripping the head off of someone you love.

And if you don't have a shotgun, a slingshot is better than nothing.
    Or if you have young children and can't leave a shotgun where it is easily accessible.

I can see a lot of situations where one quick shot to the solar plexus to disable, disarm delay someone while you reload or rethink your options could be a great option.

However with today's sue happy criminals if you shoot one you'd best kill him.
    Some states are better than others in this regard.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Well, at the very least, your math is extremely flawed. A quick Google search shows that between the years of 2005-10, which is 5 years, there were a tad less than 3,800 accidental shootings in the home. Last I checked, and I may be wrong, that's around 760 incidents per year, which is far less than ''tens of thousands''. With math like that you could get a job working PR for Obama and Holder;).

The lesser risk to your family is to have a realistic view of protection as well as a bit of training and teaching to little ones. If you teach proper safety techniques, kids don't feel the need to sneak a look. B&E crimes usually involve 2 or more perps, equaling at least one more target than can be quickly dealt with using a slingshot. I believe it's yourself that needs to ''go do some research''.

Threadjacking over...this thread may now go back to it's original topic.

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I prescribe to knives and baseball bats...assuming they get past my German Shepherd and Chow :)

4. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I didn't say 'accidental' about shootings in the home, you did. But since you went there, the stat from your own search is 3800 DEATHS from accidental shootings across those six years. Not just shootings, DEATHS from shootings.

Here's the CDC's accidental firearms injury stat: 17,000 accidental firearms injuries in 2012.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html

Research, try it sometime. And how easy it was to guess you'd toss an Obamao reference in. lol Have his stormtroopers kicked in your door yet?? ;)

Anyway, it's more fun to imagine it with slingshots and crossbows than with guns. And I have a feeling that if three intruders came in, two would flee far more quickly if the third silently fell bleeding profusely than if they hear a 'click' coming from somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

CDC is an anti-firearm puppet that has no accurate info??
    Every criminal recognizes the sound of a shotgun being pumped?
    3800 total accidental shootings in 6 years?

Wow.

http://accidentalgunshots.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Just rechecked, 3800 was deaths.
    I stand by my comments about the CDC being a puppet.
    I live in the worst firearms law stat in the nation and have never met someone who doesn't know the sound of a pump shotty, there's nothing else in the world that sounds like it.
    760 deaths per year pales in comparison with any activity you could take part in, from swimming to driving to crossing the street to playing sports.
    I've said my piece, you said yours, no one is changing their mind, let's just let it go.

So, has anyone done a side by side comparison with latex and latex free theraband? I've been curious for a while.

7. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Thank you for the acknowledgement of the data correctness. Didn't expect minds to change lol

I've not done the theraband side-by-side. Maybe one day.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

If no one beats me to it I'll be doing a comparison in summer as I'll be building a slingshot for someone with a latex allergy. No chrony but I'll think of something. Probably cardboard penetration test.

9. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

Just one comment, and no one need respond on the gun thing. It infuriates every true scientist when you cannot get real numbers on something that shouldn't be that difficult to ascertain.

I've tried looking for gun stats, and the blanking things are all over the map. Somewhere, there should be numbers for every case in a house where a gun prevented a crime being committed, numbers of honest accidents, numbers for suicides--which get folded into gun deaths for some unknown reason. And a hundred other reasons and circumstances that should be available. It would even be of use to know gun deaths for the 143 years that the 2nd amendment was the only Federal law concerning firearms.

The facts that I have come up with is that someone doesn't want us to know the truth, and most likely that is someone who has some power they are worried about losing. Note that this could be in either direction...pro or anti-. Unless we put some people to doing real research in the US, instead of stuff paid for by people with axes to grind of all types; doctors, pharmaceutical companies, herbs, folk remedies, social scientists, child psychologists...and there are thousands more...we will be continuing to shoot into the dark when we try to make a decision about anything.

I too would like to hear opinions from people about theraband latex and non-latex as far as longevity-in identical useages.

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Zurk, I know what you mean, especially with the liberal media in this country, truth gets swept under the table in exchange for a good headline or ratings.

I'm excitedly waiting for someone to compare the two therabands, I'd do it myself but I just killed my disposable cashflow on a new battery and insurance on my sportbike.