What kind of wood is this???

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by knivesgotguns, Nov 11, 2013.

1. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Like the title says what kind of wood is this.i love in coastal ga if that helps and will it make a good ss? This is my first natural ss any tips I should know.

Attached Files:

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

dont you have a example of a leaf, that would make it much more eayer

3. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Ya I was gonna do that when i was in the woods but I forgot lol

4. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

This is what they looked like single leaves grouped together at the branch

Attached Files:

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

If they are paired on the branch equally, then it's probably a species of Ash.

-Wild Bill

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

you mean like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dit it have any berry's, fruit, flowers or nuts?

7. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

no no berries/nuts the leaves were smooth on the edges.

8. WildBill

Yup. Sounds like Ash- and that is native to Georgia.

-Wild Bill

9. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Your from kcmo??? Im originally from kcmo. So how should I cure the ash without it cracking too much?

10. WildBill

Just get healthy wood. Only sick wood needs to be cured, just ask BV...

Seriously, though, I'm not from KC originally but I've lived here for the last 8 years. I asked the same question regarding curing and our esteemed engineer gave some excellent references in this thread-

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/questions-regarding-naturals-31456/

I'd never used the microwave method before the global SS trade, since I was (am) a furniture builder and used either kiln-dried or naturally dried wood/planks for building. Do be wary of 'overcooking' as I did have one fork catch fire in the nuker from too much heat. I used the defrost setting and still needed to keep the cook time under six minutes per treatment, then allow the fork to cool for a half hour or so and then repeat until I had the weight/moisture reduction acceptable.

-Wild Bill

11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I'm thinking locust if the leaves were smooth edged and on the smaller side.

12. WildBill

Locust has leaf growth that is not symmetrical- ie the leaves are not paired on the stem. If the leaves are staggered along both sides of the branch (and the bark is rough and folded, which this is not) then yes, I'd suspect locust. However, the bark on the limb pictured is consistent with Ash and also the leaf type is typical of most Ash species.

-Wild Bill

13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Yeah, I was just going to post back that I responded too soon. On second thought the bark looks wrong for locust. Really nice looking forks anyway!

14. Haze

Haze New Member

With the microwaving, weigh the fork on digital scales, Mic it for 2.15 then let it cool. Weigh again, Mic for 2.15 and repeat. I use a spreadsheet to calculate weight loss. I believe that you are looking for 30% to 40%. Once you get in that range, you will notice that the amount of water removed per Mic session is reducing. That's where you need to watch out for overcooking. If you do get any burning, it will tend to be around the fork junction first. If you see any burning on the surface, there's a lot more inside and you should seriously question whether you ditch that fork because if its interior is just charcoal (and it is likely to be) then you have to watch for the danger of the fork breaking under load.