What is this?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Dec 1, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

What is this

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Those are knotholes.

-Wild Bill

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

a big eyehole ... i guess. its only on the one layer.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This is a nice slingshot in need of a bit of epoxy mixed with sawdust.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

All 3 above answers apply.

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Yeah it's a slimmer version of your moorhammer

7. egmont

egmont Slingshot General

that happens, and its common in cheap plywood

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That is wood, a product of trees. More specifically that is plywood, multiple thin layers of wood attached to each other using one of various methods.
    But really those look like knotholes. It happens when there are imperfections in one (or more) of the layers of ply probably caused by knots formed in the tree from which it came. As egmont said it is common in cheap plywood. They can be annoying because they are usually invisible until you uncover one with a rasp, saw, file, sandpaper, or something. Luckily most are small enough that they don't threaten a slings integrity. As Joerg said epoxy mixed with sawdust makes an easy fix, but be careful to .make absolutely certain that they don't your sling can withstand your draw using rope before you attach rubber (to avoid having your fork tips snap off and come back into your face) usually these not holes are pretty common and fortunately not too serious for the most part. Sometimes you may get unlucky and have to scrap a slingshot because of them though.
    Hope this helped!

9. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

It is actually two layers o multiplex and I can pull up to 60 lb and no snap so I'm good for this one

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

If it's multiplex you're probably fine, besides the strength of the wood multiplex is laminated, I'm not sure how as we don't have multiplex (that I can find) in the US

11. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Why does the US not have Multiplex??

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You can get it in the US, it's just that people here are less likely to call it multiplex and will rather call it plywood, but not just any plywood like the cheap CDX or ACX stuff you typically find at Home Depot. Rather, you're looking for the really good stuff - Baltic Birch Plywood. I recall it should be 12 layers at least, 3/4" thick. You should be able to find it at any decent lumber yard. It will not be cheap.

Here's a place that sells it online - their 3/4" is 13 ply:

http://www.woodnshop.com/Hardwood/Baltic_Birch_Plywood.htm

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  13. NW_frameman

NW_frameman Member

Contact your local cabinet maker and they will probably point you in the direction of there dumpster. They always throw away nice scraps .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk