What is the maximum velocity possible?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by D. Tiller, Apr 17, 2013.

1. D. Tiller

D. Tiller New Member

Watching the videos I noticed that there seems to be a maximum velocity to theraband. At which point energy and power can only be achieved by increasing the mass of the projectile. Is this right?<br><br>If so, would it not be better to create a bolt shooter and go away from shooting ball ammo?

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I think the maximum for unheated bands is allmost reached yes, but there also is a future in heated bands, i've seen a vid in which someone shot almost twice as fast with heated bands. he didn't really believe it himself tho

3. beaverman

beaverman New Member

i think someone on slingshot forum has gotten up to 500 fps, but i dnt know if it was heated or not.

4. stej

stej New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>beaverman wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">i think someone on slingshot forum has gotten up to 500 fps, but i dnt know if it was heated or not.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>Yes, I think so. And it wasn't with regular slingshot, but with a kind of starship. </span>

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I did over 500 fps as well, with .177 BBs and extremely tapered bands - on a warm summer day. Problem is the bands tear very soon. <br><br>The Raptor uses thick tubular rubber and a bow like compound system (cams) to shoot very small BBs at over 550 fps. It works, but you have to invest 80lb draw in order to achieve that. Few people are able to draw this bow with the max weight. <br><br>In my experience, the energy maxes out with 20 to 25mm steel balls on a regular slingshot. Way bigger than the ones most people use.<br><br>Shooting bolts works, but on a conventional slingshot that leaves you to flechettes. Arrows limit the draw length to 32 inches max, but you have no pretension. So slingbows are usually a lot weaker than regular bows (which are pretensed) and also weaker than BB shooting slingshots (which can be shot full butterfly with 60 inches draw length). <br><br>Flechettes weighing between 30 and 60 gramms are the most lethal projectiles for conventional slingshots. Lots of energy, lots of penetration.

6. D. Tiller

D. Tiller New Member

Thanks Joerg and everyone! Makes a lot of sense now.<br><br>Trying to learn how to shoot my slingshot I just made. It seems prety fast at full draw of 32 inches. But I still can't hit the broad side of a barn with it yet. Going to keep on trying though! Quite addictive!!!