what is better? slingshots or guns?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Lars, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

with data everything can be shown to be true,

if you look at the data the average dutch person has one ball and one breast

its seeing all the data that gives the full picture

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

if slings would be superior, then army's, cops and criminals would carry them instead of guns
    and the government would try to ban them

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOnyEbU-3hU[/ame]

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Just as there are people that shouldn't handle guns, there are people that shouldn't drive a car, shouldn't drink alcohol, shouldn't be allowed to do many things due to their incompetence. But because some people misuse or mistreat a thing is no reason to demonize that thing. Guns are a tool, and any tool, misused can cause injury or death. Why do we demonize guns when these accidents happen, yet don't demonize swimming pools when a young child drowns? Or cars when a child is hit or killed in an accident?

I also wonder about the logic in saying that a person could be stumbling around in a stupor in the middle of the night and accidentally shoot someone. Honestly, if a person can't be trusted with a gun, why should they be trusted with any weapon? A crossbow can still kill, and mistaken identity could still happen. Just because you had to cock the bow doesn't magically give you the power to suddenly identify intruders versus good guys. If you can't be trusted with a firearm, you probably shouldn't be trusted with any weapon, save for a phone call to 911 (good luck with that).

In the end, for me, I consider it part of my responsibility to protect my family. Criminals do not play by any set of rules, but rather use whatever they have to their advantage. I choose to level the playing field. I would never want to stare down the barrel of a bad guy with a gun with a slingshot or even a crossbow in hand. At least with a gun, I have a real fighting chance to survive. Will I ever face that situation? I hope not. But if I do, I'll take any advantage I can get.

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

gun bans dont make it save, you cant have a gun in the Netherlands, still people get shot..... and stabbed and beaten to death or run over by cars...
    criminals dont care about a ban

the mass shootings in the us where in so called gun free zones, Washington, Chicago and new York have very strict gun laws and still the highest murder rates, where more people have guns, other crimes go down

security feeling is a funny thing, its not tied to the real security but tied to your fears, and those are influenced by the info you do and do not hear

your more likely to be hit by lighting than to be killed by an airplane crash
    your more likely to be killed by a cop then by a terrorist
    your more likely to be killed by bees than to be shot

yet people are often scared of flying, scared of terrorist (so scared there giving up freedom and privacy), scared of guns

its all a bunch of fearmongring IMHO

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

LOL

a) Where do you see me demonizing guns? I stated I own them, and then I posted some relevant data and said, based on it, that I MYSELF will not keep my guns loaded and ready in MY home. That's demonization???? Really????

b) We DO take legal precautions with pools. Almost all neighborhoods have fencing regs, including locking gates, to attempt to prevent the neighbor's kids from drowning in your pool. Yet a requirement to keep a trigger lock on a gun is considered demonization.

Oh, and cars are not designed to kill. Unlike pools, which are a far more effective killing machine even than guns :)

7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

cars indeed are not designed to kill, but does that matter when you are driven over by a nut that lost it?

a view years ago there was a "terrorist" attack om our royal family, a small suzuki swift drove full speed through the crowd...
    indeed its not designed for that, yet it does the trick.... and very well to, more often people are killed by cars then guns

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrhZ4ecQz0[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

simple answer:

slingshots. due to the rubber they are way safer! ;)

Best for killing people would be the 17", 376 lb. whackhammer.
    But it requires a lot of training!- rather for power, accuracy is
    negligible.

IMHO-

Be

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were demonizing them, it's just something I see people doing, more so recently. I was speaking a bit more generally in that point. You made a reasoned point about your dislike for them, and I respect that choice. And I agree, pools are quite dangerous too :)

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't know Be, I've been injured by my slingshots, I have yet to be hurt by my guns ;) The slingshots drew first blood. They are the real danger :eek:

11. BeMahoney

I appreciate very much you may never
    be hurt by your guns.
    Or other guns!

Nor anybody else!- except someone
    attacking some other guy with a whackhammer.
    Then there´s no choice...

"The only way to stop a bad guy
    with gun is a good guy with a gun"

(Charlton Heston?) - aint that funny?

Two hunters meet. Both dead.

Be (luckily living in a rather gun-free atmosphere)

12. BeMahoney

Look what I found!

An ancient hymn about the (whack)Hammer, grit 16:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGJQemjRF4[/ame]

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Most overrated shotgun in existence?? Ouch!! Can you explain your stance on that D?
    That 870 is a weapon near and dear to my heart. Have put my hunting version (SuperMag) through abuses that I am actually ashamed of (I even used it as a makeshift oar to row my kayak after my paddle suffered an accident), and have placed in the top ten in three sporting clay competition shoots with my Wingmaster.
    Of course, I'm not arguing with your opinion, my friend, just wanted to hear your stance.

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Which one is better? Soccer or Taekwondo. This is how I see this thread.

This whole thing has the same utility of a nose xray to diagnosis of flu... Nothing.

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Which one is better? Soccer or Taekwondo. This is how I see this thread.

This whole thing has the same utility of a nose xray to diagnosis of flu... Nothing.

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Lars wanted to know which weapon type is "generally" better, guns or slingshots.

The answer is neither.

Enough said.

17. AzaSidarSalikara

AzaSidarSalikara New Member

I mean slingshots they aren't hravy
    Thex are simple
    They are deadly
    Theay are cheap
    You can use al types of ammo

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Just that you can do anything an 870 will do with a Mossy 500 for around half the price. It's a fine weapon and all but over priced/hyped in my opinion. Both my brothers have one and neither have ever out shot my trusty (beat to hell) 500. Seems I feel the same about my 500 as you do about your 870. That's the same reason they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, personal taste. BTW, I think many "standards" are over rated as well, ar15, glock, S&W M&P, ak 47, etc. even the beloved 1911(which the great John Moses Browning considered his second best design to the unloved Hi-Power).

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ah, I forgot about this thread...

Since we're talking shotguns, I also have a Mossberg 500. I did my first ever trap shoot with it earlier this year, and it performed very well for a first time trap shooter. I looked at both the 500 and the 870, but went with the 500 in the end. One thing I will say is in the 870's favor over the 500 is that there are far more accessories and ways to mod the 870. About the only thing that bothers me with the design of the 500 is that you can't easily extend the mag tube for additional rounds. But beyond that, it's a great gun. Mine came with 2 barrels - an 18 1/2" for home defense and a 28" VR for trap, hunting, etc.

20. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Its amusing to see folk proclaiming one scattergun better than another.

Are the triggers reliable? Is the pump ejector and load process smooth?
    You certainly can't claim one barrel better than another....