what is better? slingshots or guns?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Lars, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

me to... with a good sauce:p

2. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

just that you know it it wasn´t a question :D
    i only wanted to say you what i think about those :)

yes of course guns are much fun too :) :) i didn´t want to make them bad ... but they cost so much ...

thanks for all the comments :)

3. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

and my brother says all the time that guns are the best in the world

i made slingys : hahaha kid toy ... so weak :D:D

i made bows : hahaha what do you want with this :D:D:D

you know that?

please write it :)

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Tell him that he is free to complain about your slingshots and bows when he made something better himself :)

5. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Do that, it should help

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

why don't you challenge him for a duel at sunrise....

you with your sling, him with his gun....
    will find out quick enough witch is the better one i think:D

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

My opinion comes down to 2 names "Springfield" and "Sig Sauer". "Browning" as well. I shoot slingies more but firearms are my love. My uncle gave me an old "hogleg" .357 he had since the 60s, I love it more than any slingy ever!

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I see your "Springfield" and raise with a Remington!

As for the Sig, any time you want to match it vs my 870 pump shotgun , please do let me know. :)

And if you really want to compare shooting I suppose I'll have to get my tack driver out. Just a little .22, really, nothing to be scared of. As long as your behind it not in front of it. :)

"Everything" has its place in the sun, the spot where it shines.

9. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

You can never have enough shooting tools they are all good.

10. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

Arghh I am torn! I do really like slingshots (duh) but I don't mind taking a rifl and popping a few cans 50 yards away... I think it's a tie for me.

11. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I am awfully sorry!

Ladies and Gents,

unfortunately, the answer to the initial question in this case is

BA-NA-NA, yes: BANANA! (unless somebody has a gun!)

period!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCyIAsSid8[/ame]

This is the way "love goes".. (disregarding pointed sticks!)

yep!

Be

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Speaking of 'tack drivers', I thought I'd share a photo of one of my fun little plinkers. This is one of my Ruger 10/22's. This one is complete with a Fajen Thumbhole Stock, an Adams and Bennett bull barrel and a Barska 6-24x42 varmint scope.

It weighs a ton, so really more of a bench-rest gun, but a sweet rifle. This one is near the top of my favorites list.

[​IMG]

13. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Context counts in this discussion.

First off, all such weapons are fun to shoot! No question about that.
    But now we have to talk about situations. Most obvious being home defense. And for that I like.... SLINGSHOTS AND CROSSBOWS. Here's why: Too many times we hear of people 'accidentally' shooting friends or relatives etc. You're asleep, you wake because you hear a noise, you grab your gun from the nightstand and, in your sleepy haze you fail to realize it's your daughter getting herself a midnight snack instead of a burglar. BLAM

The loaded gun in the nightstand comes with, to some degree, a concurrent need to justify its existence there. So you begin to imagine every noise to be the criminal gang that's coming to pillage your home. You go to the range, you practice... and you keep imagining, more and more vividly, how you will heroically defend your home when** 'they' come to kill you and your family.

How are slingshots and crossbows different?
    Simple: the fact that they don't sit loaded and ready to fire means you have to become CONSCIOUS to utilize them. You cannot, in an Ambien-induced semicoma, go and shoot your kid by accident! So the entire training/prep for using them is approached differently.

To continue the theme, but in a different context: Every year, approximately 1000 people in North America are accidentally shot by hunters.
    Guess how many of those happen with bows or crossbows. One every half decade or so. Slingshots? The statistic isn't even kept because it's that rare.

And again, it is because the nature of the weapon forces you to be deliberate. No one, even with a 400fps crossbow, is shooting whitetail from 600 meters. I took two deer in my youth with a 55lb recurve; in both cases, the shot was from within 15 meters. There is virtually no chance, at the effective ranges of these weapons, of mistaking a human for a target.

So even though I own a couple guns, they are in pieces around the house. That forces me to be deliberate with those too. And I don't hunt with them. It's just not that challenging.

**not if, because it is inevitable. Else you wouldn't have got the gun kept it loaded in your nightstand and practiced so much, right?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Not much of a raise, more a fold;). The custom Sig will take the pepsi,jiff,and activia challenge with the most over rated shotty in existance! It's more than capable of body shots to 100 but not a burden indoors. My littlr tackdriver is a 5in Browning buckmark camper with Hi-Viz front and target ribbed target black rear.

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

You realize its a felony to use a firearm under the influence right? Using a slingshot for PD? Hogwash. I doubt the suggestion that you can operate a firearm when in an "Ambien induced semicoma" or a slingy for that matter. Using safties and having proper knowledge/training greatly reduces chances of negligent discharge. An idiot that fails to run the PUDA loop process will negligently fire a slingshot as well as a firearm.
    PUDA

Perceive
    Understand(the most important part)
    Decide(to use force or not)
    Act(on said decision)

The concept that firearms owners are itching for a gunfight is flawed at best.
    I'd hate to see what happens when a real threat is in your house and you missed the shot with a slingy, no time to reload, you just failed to protect your family.

Firearms in pieces aren't a viable tool to use for self/family preservation. Trust that I wouldn't fail to protect my family. Trust they'll be safe in the house as proper training and deployment will be used. I hope to never have to use these tools in defense of my self/family but they'll be there if needed.
    cheers

16. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

That's a whole lotta trust. And a Glock on the nightstand, with its "trigger operated internal safety" or whatever they call it, certainly operates the moment you pick it up and pull the trigger.... regardless of the legality of doing so on sleeping pills.

No, the odds are that my home will not be invaded. On a percapita basis, crime's been falling for decades. Most break-ins occur in neighborhoods where I don't live. Most break-ins that DO occur are just some punk looking for an iPod or something to sell quick, and do not result in the burglar and homeowner ever encountering each other.

So I'll play those odds, and should it ever be required take my one shot with the crossbow or slingshot or whatever happens to be around... rather than tempt fate by having a gun loaded, cocked and ready to kill.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I see this thread is back again. Allow me to express my POV. But rather than express it through overgeneralized statements, I will use some personal experience and some actual statistics.

I suppose if you've not experienced a forced entry break-in or known someone who has you may share a different opinion. My grandparents suffered 4 break-ins over a 2 year period. In 2 of those events, they were at home, asleep, when 4 men and 3 men respectively, kicked in the front door. My grandfather defended himself and my grandmother with his shotgun - no shots fired, the presence of the gun itself was deterrent enough. But what if it got violent? If you fired a single crossbow bolt, and you hit one intruder, you'd be done with that weapon, and likely would be taken out by the remaining 3 intruders. However if it were necessary to discharge the shotgun, you can bet the other 3 would take off running, assuming they didn't also share part of the shot.

As to your assertion that 'too many times we hear of people 'accidentally' shooting friends or relatives'. Having reviewed these statistics before, I don't see that this is in the course of a break-in. In fact, I could find very few stories related to this. Rather, it is almost always the mis-handling of a firearm by a child who should not have had access in the first place or by someone mishandling it while 'showing off'.

Looking at actual statistics by the US Department of Justice, from 2003 - 2007, there were approximately 3.7 million burglaries per year. A household member was present in approximately 28% of these burglaries - that's over 1 million incidents in the US each year. In 7% of these burglaries - that's 259,000 times, a person in the home experienced some form of violent victimization.

In addition, in the US, according to a study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from a crime at least 989,883 times per year (as of 2000).

I've grown up around guns as have many people I know. I've known one person who was shot accidentally - a young man playing with a loaded shotgun, something that a lazy parent left out in the open. Honestly, I find that no more or less dangerous on the part of an adult than leaving out poisonous compounds or medications, leaving the gate to a swimming pool open, leaving a second floor window unlocked or not checking behind them when they back their car out of the driveway. People like to demonize guns but conveniently forget the causes of far more accidental deaths each year, just some of which I listed.

I think of it kind of like a fire extinguisher. I have a fire extinguisher, not because I expect to have a fire, but because it's possible to have a fire. Something that for us, came true earlier this year. In March, I was alerted by our smoke detectors that there was smoke, when I investigated, I found a bathroom in flames as an old ceiling exhaust fan had failed, igniting the ceiling and other combustibles in the room. While my wife gathered my daughter and called 911, I used that extinguisher to knock the flames down then evacuated myself. When the Fire Department finally got there, it was almost 5 minutes later. They said the use of the Fire Extinguisher saved our home. I keep a gun for the same reason. I can't expect the police to be there right away. I neither wait nor hope for an armed intruder, but it does happen, and could happen to me. If it does, I want to be on even grounds to defend my family if needed. As for my grandparents? The front door was 20' from their bedroom, there was no time to try and cock a crossbow and get it ready. His already loaded shotgun saved their lives - twice.

Could a gun be part of an accident? Yes. So could my car. Should I stop driving then? More people die each year in car accidents that by accidental shootings, so maybe we should look there as a bigger issue?

As you can tell, I find this issue hits close to home, and yes, I'm a bit passionate about it. In the interest of not starting this discussion into something heated again, I'll just state that I've said my part and leave it at that.

Since you seem to make the assumption that people are completely incompetent when it comes to guns, it probably is skewing your point of view just a bit.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

When you assume, you make an...
    Striker fired weapons are not allowed in my house. Even if they were if you have your finger out of the trigger guard as anyone with one iota of firearms knowledge would understand, until the PUDA process was complete, the gun can't fire without the trigger being pressed.

19. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I make no assumption. I merely observe data. MOST people are routinely safe in their handling and storage of firearms - myself among them. Yet we see stories, many times daily, of guns left to be accessed by kids. We see things like an NRA certified instructor putting a functioning mini-Uzi in the hands of an eight year old at a gun show - to the surprise of no one with an iota of intelligence, the kid blew his own head apart with the thing. 'Accidentally'. Just a few weeks ago, some SWAT officer or other was at a children's reading event. Paying attention to the reading needs of the kids around him, the officer did not notice the 9 year old who sidled up next to him... and pulled the trigger on his holstered loaded/cocked sidearm, wounding the officer's leg.

There are only eight states that keep particular records on this: As of September of this year, for the year 2013 those eight states reported the accidental deaths of 259 children under the age of 15 by firearms. There were over 200,000 nonfatal injuries from gunshot in 2012, over 70,000 of which required emergency room care. 1000 annual hunting accidents with firearms.... Those anecdotes and numbers tell us that gun owners are not always quite so perfect in their safety practices as they imagine themselves to be.

So I am a gun owner, I like to shoot - but not passionate about them as home defense weapons. I am entirely dispassionate in fact. So please do not assume I am making an assumption. I am merely stating that, for myself, observation of the available data has indicated to me that the wiser course of action for my own household is to NOT have guns at the ready. And if I ever decide to go hunting again, it'll be during achery season - when those accidents don't happen.

20. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I saw guys shoot (the best shot series) a whole magazine(have no idea...12 rounds? of a regular hand gun in 4 seconds ...then you can take a second full magazine and swap it in 1 second... slings are slow.

But way cooler.