what is better? slingshots or guns?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Lars, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

FIRST i have to say: yes guns are fast* and percise ...

but slingshots are (jörgs) strong and fast (and a little bit percise)

BUT to GUNS:
    yes fast was with an mark (*)
    guns are only fast if you have loaded the magazines!
    so one guy could load the magazine and the other is shooting?

now look on slingshots:
    two guys can shoot and nobody has to load a magazine first!

if someone says you have to get ammo for slingshots:
    for guns not??

also you have to load the cardridges for guns first
    and you neet gunpowder and the cardridges and fitting "lead"

yes you need rubber for slingshots, but you can buy an huge ammount of rubber first

(yes also for guns the ammo can be stored)
    but rubber lasts for more shots and you can shoot everything

if i am wrong in one theme please write to me

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

first a question....

better for what???

3. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

just generally

4. Slingshots are better of course!
    they are cheep, fun and i can make them!

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

As a hobby, slingshots are soooooooo much better, IMHO. Just some of the reasons being:

*Cheap You don't need a lot of money to get started with slingshot-making, shooting even less. A good commercial slingshot can be very affordable, while a gun requires you to bust your piggy-bank
    *Easy to make Anyone -and I mean anyone- can make a slingshot at home! It's easy as pie.
    *Legality While you might get in trouble if your'e buying a gun, a slingshot is legal in most places. And if it's not, no one will bother enough to send you to court.
    *Power Despite being so small, a slingshot can still pack a punch. While guns shines on light projectiles, slingshots shine on everything else.
    *Quiet No one will complain if you shoot your silent slingshot at your t-shirt stuffed catchbox in your backyard or in the forest.
    *Fun and community This forum is by far the best place of all of internet. I would not be here with all the friends this forum provides if it wasn't for slingshots.

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

slingshots are cheaper to built/buy and shoot
    but when it comes to things as securing meat or home defense i reader have something more powerful accurate and faster to shoot

but if its for backpacking or just fun shooting, then a sling is nice and hard to beat in its cost to fun ratio

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well, Joerg has already demonstrated that it's possible to hit with a force similar to a pistol round (maybe you've seen that video?). But I have to kind of go along with Tilia - better for what?

I own and shoot a variety of firearms, from pistols to rifles. I also own and shoot airsoft guns and bb/pellet pistols and rifles. About the only thing I don't have is a bow or crossbow. I've even got a couple of traditional rock slings in addition to my growing collection of slingshots. So, which is better?

For self defense, I would choose the gun hands-down over any other item, including the slingshot. It's faster, more precise, compact, and I can get off more shots in a short period of time on multiple targets if necessary. You mentioned loading the bullets, well for a self-defense gun, it's never unloaded. I can do that here where I live. Regulations in other parts of the country and around the world may mandate that you keep any guns in the home unloaded at all times. When it comes to protecting my family, I'll go with what is most effective. If I couldn't get to a gun, I'd take anything I could find, a kitchen knife, a rock, my fists, whatever.

That said, I do enjoy making projectiles go down range. I also appreciate finely designed items, and many guns are a really pleasure to look at. But, the gun has some definite limitations. I can't shoot it at my home, except in self-defense, so I've got to go to an indoor or outdoor range to practice, and that takes time. Ammo is also expensive and sometimes, unavailable. There are people that can't own guns legally. There are places where guns cannot be carried, though as a concealed carry permit holder, I can carry one almost anywhere I want in the state, if I choose. Guns also make some people very nervous, others, downright angry. There are some people I won't even discuss guns with because they have such a fear or hatred of them. Even BB guns and airsoft guns can be limited in terms of using them at home - many areas don't allow you to use them even in your own yard. Slingshots are often okay to shoot when the other items I mentioned are not. That said, even in my state, there are local cities that restrict even the use of a slingshot.

Slingshots are something I can get away with shooting at home, indoors if necessary. I can make my own slingshots or I can buy more at a relatively low cost. I can even improvise with other items/materials. I can practice my aim, my steadiness and learning to acquire my target. I can get ammo much cheaper than for a gun and I can re-use much of that ammo.

I don't think the question can be answered in terms of one over the other. If slingshots were truly as effective as guns for self-defense, then armies would likely be carrying them into battle. But they don't do that, they carry guns. There are proper applications for each item. Can they be used for self-defense? Yes, they can, in fact someone (I forget who) posted several videos on YouTube a while back that showed how you could use a slingshot to defend yourself, and it wasn't just using the traditional ammo and rubber.

So, what is better? That all depends on what you need or want them for. I like them both, I own them both and I use them both. As we say in the construction business "use the right tool for the job". Also important is proper training, practice and handling of whatever weapon (or toy) you choose to use.

8. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Like everyone else I am pretty sure the gunpowder or the explosive is in the bullet itself when the trigger is pulled a type of hammer hits hard on the back of the bullet (where the explosive is) making the bullet shoot out of the guns barrel. I think that's how it works well some work like that others work differently

J

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

The question reminds me of a guy who asked me:
    -which one is better, Jiu Jitsu or TaeKwonDo?
    In answer I said: which one is better, soccer or tennis?

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

11. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I agree, define "better" both have their place, as do edged weapons, blowguns, etc.

In a survival situation, being able to find ammo laying on the ground is a huge plus. As is being able to build the weapon pretty much from scratch. A set of bands + pouch, a knife blade and a jug of ammo is a low cost option for a bug out bag.

For maximum destructive power down range, with faster ROF, hard to beat a good shotgun or rifle IMO. I'm not much into pistols personally. I know guns are tools, and any tool is only as good as the person using it. But to me Pistols are single use tools, they are designed to kill people, mostly at close range.

The single biggest thing they bring to the table that other guns don't is close quarters handling and concealment. Neither of which I find very necessary.

A weapon is a weapon is a weapon, it is not intrinsically good or bad, it all depends on the circumstances. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Take away the guns and we'll be using knifes, blowguns, slingshots and cars.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good point, Ghost, I forgot about blowguns.

I would add that pistols aren't limited to being close quarters "people killing" tools. They are also great for target shooting/plinking, something I do for fun. Check out the YouTube channel for "22 Plinkster" and you'll see some amazing trick shots with .22lr pistols. In addition, I have friends that use pistols in IPSC competitions. Pistol competitions are a big deal for some folks, some even manage to make a living at it. And it is legal in some areas to hunt with pistols. So I would say they do serve other purposes beyond the one you stated.

I like the points you made, well stated.

13. xXdoomXx

I like trains

The first link :)

There's also a mine turtle no joke

► 2:10► 2:10
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw[/ame]
    Sep 23, 2011 - Uploaded by TomSka
    I LIKE TRAINS From birth the I Like Trains kid never spoke a word ... Watch Later MINE TURTLE ...

14. xXdoomXx

Mine turtle :)

Sorry for off topic news :) thread hijacker junior on duty :p

► 2:02► 2:02
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5_sQ8O-7Y[/ame]
    Jun 22, 2012 - Uploaded by TomSka
    Mine Turtle's travelled round the world, from Cairo to Madrid. ... Watch Later marmite is ...

J

15. xXdoomXx

You only understand it if you have watched all asdf movies :)

asdfmovie - YouTube
    ► 1:48► 1:48
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnsfV5N2n8[/ame]
    Aug 10, 2008 - Uploaded by TomSka
    Bing and Spamcatby TomSka1,091,991 views; 10:13. Watch Later Asdfmovie 1-6 ...

Still laughing :)

16. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

It depends what you intend to do.
    I like slingshots a lot. I like to make them and I like to shoot them.
    But I would not take a slingshot to a gun fight!

17. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

For everything, there is the better weapons and tools.
    Slingshot's are "cheap" as also the ammunition. They are quiet compared to the guns. You need no gun permit and also not safe for storage. They are produced for each. But hunting and also in the loading guns are better. But I leave it to those who are trained for this. I was taught: shoot and aiming never on animals and persons

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  18. CEZ

CEZ New Member

One might say that it depends on the situation, like for self defense you would probably be better off with a gun?
    Well here's a real life situation, here in Poland there is no such thing as shooting anyone in self defense from a law point of view. Unless you are a policeman then if you shoot an attacker you get just as much time as if you attacked some one with a gun, it's even worse if you actually kill the guy.. So many people rot in prison for self defense here, it's absurd! If you actually want to defend yourself here (with a gun), it's better if you don't.

Another thing is getting a gun in Poland:D Permits are close to impossible, if you actually manage to get one, you have to keep it in a safe at all times and will get car searches if you get pulled over. It's a paradox, you own a gun but can't carry it around.
    Just the price of a gun and ammo is absurd (2-3 months pay of an average person), you could have a car for that and just run over the attacker:D
    You can't really take your gun to a gun range unless you are friends with the owner.
    Shooting it off anywhere will get you in a lot of trouble if caught and we all know it's not the most silent of weapons (of course silencers are totally illegal).
    Obviously if you illegally obtain a gun (probably because of the reasons above) and get caught with it, you're going to get prison time.

Considering this situation, there is no comparison material for me - guns are just useless here. Slingshots win by default in Poland:D