What Happens During a Fork Hit?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Fionda, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Fionda

Fionda New Member

Hi to everyone. I have just started shooting a slingshot, after being introduced to slingshots by my older brother.

We have shot many times and have not had any fork hits. However, I am concerned about what might happen if I eventually get a fork hit. I can’t find out anywhere what actually happens to the ammo after a fork hit.

Does the ammo just hit the fork and glance off sideways? As we are shooting 25mm (1") marbles my biggest concern is that the ammo will rebound off the fork into my face. Although I wear safety glasses, the fear of being hit in the face by this ammo is greatly hindering my concentration, etc.

Has anyone had a face strike during a fork hit? Any advice/info appreciated.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

25mm is a huge marble, i hope you have high, wide forks. if it's a boardcut and you fork hit with that leviathan marble it will probably be fatal to the slingy. With 1/2" marbles they glance at an angle usually, the damage to the fork can still be substantial, i recently destroyed a slimline pfs i was testing with one hit. I've not had an rts so i can't testify on that.

3. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

i did't had a face strike yet but once had a fatal forkhit whith my strongest bandset and the fork broke of

Enes

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Most of the time they go up at some angle. I have shot out lights from directly over my head to my spotlight on my catchbox. A fork hit can break a fork off. That is what the safeties are mainly for band/fork breaks and RTS's. But shots rarely (if ever) bounce back to you.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I've had 1 marble bounce back to me but with zero inertia, i mean stopped next to my foot which was quite nice as i just picked it up and made sure to aim better and resent it.

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

From targets? Sure. I was stupid enough to shoot a hollow core door which bounced one back hard enough to put a bump on my head. But from forks? Not so much.

7. Fionda

Fionda New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a little more relaxed about what might happen during a fork hit, although hopefully I’ll never have one.

I’ve now shot my slingshot about 700 times and I’m finding it very addictive; once I start the rest of the day is a write off!

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

..you´re awfully right!- concerning the shooting!..

but building slingshots is even a lot worse!

painstakingly reminds me of life as a youngster, out in the fields and forest..

better calm down myself in the workshop! RIGHT NOW!

Greetings,

Be

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

i forgot the main thing that happens with a fork hit. massive amounts of cussing and the possibility of breaking stuff that wasn't broken due to the fork hit.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I know that would happen if I get a fork hit, especially if it we're to happen on one I made.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hahaha!!! Yes, exactly!! This is certainly the 'Will' style of dealing with fork hits!:D

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Hey brother! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

13. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I tried to fire an M14 nut from my slingshot. Hit my thump with full energy. Luckily the bands were only for a 10mm steel ball, so not strong enough. It hurt a bit but the skin wasnt even scratched.

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi Will!- nice you´re back! (are you at that new place now? -Oregon?)

15. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I had an RTS from a fork hit some time ago. Luckily it hit me in the chest and not in the face as i never use eyes protection( shame on me) when shooting.
    Here are two ways to protect my forks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Fionda

Fionda New Member

Glad it only hit you in the chest, must still have hurt though!

I would hope ammo rebound off a fork would cause the ammo to lose some of its initial energy on the way back. Regardless, there’s no way to duck out of the way.

We chose marbles over steel balls as tests with steel ammo revealed bad ricochet in our particular setup. However, targets made from certain plastics and materials can still send the 25mm marbles back at high speed. We’re very quickly learning which plastics and target materials not to use.