What does this say about you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

A friend pointed me to this quiz by the New York Times. It's a collection of 25 questions that is supposed to identify where you're from in the US based on how you say certain words and based on certain expressions you use. Having known folks from all over the US, it's always fascinated me how differently people in the same country, that speak the same language, can say certain things. Considering the immigrant population of the US, it's not surprising that groups of certain people would gather in some areas more than others and have a strong influence on the local dialects and sayings.

I took the quiz and it says I'm from the western US - most likely Spokane, Boise or Salt Lake City - wrong on all accounts as I'm from Portland, OR, but definitely western US based on my speech.

So, I'd love to see what some other members here find in this quiz - BUT, not only the folks from the US. I'd like to see what the quiz has to say about the non-native English speakers around the world. Is the English you learn influenced by a particular part of the US? Are there words or phrases in the quiz you've never heard of before?

It's all for fun, if you do it, be sure to post your results!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&

And here are my results - you can see the dark areas bump over into the Portland area:

2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

lol im from the upper westcoast

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Salt Lake City apparently. Funnily enough, being English I had to answer 'other' to a surprising number of these. American really is its own language!

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E this thing was hilarious and amazing at the same time. At different times it thought I was eastern, southern, not from america, then based on the last two questions it spit out Sacramento, the capital of my homestate California. My dad was born just outside Sactown, and went to school there as he moved to sac as a kid. My grandmama and uncle lived there and I spent much time at my relatives houses in Sac as a child into my teens. Strangely enough it seems the lack of drive through liquor stores sealed the deal. Sacramento is a 45min drive from my house. My dad moved to our small town to be room mates with his best friend after he discharged from the navy in the late 60s and stayed because he met a crazy woman he couldn't (at the time) live without-my mother.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

No point in posting my results, same as yours Withak. This was interesting to do though and it will be fun to see what others come up with.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting results so far! It's interesting to note differences in generations too. I think back to my grandparents. They would call ketchup "catsup", a sofa or couch was rather called a "davenport". My step-father's mother was from North Dakota. She had a distinctively Dakotan accent that had hints of Scandinavian influence.

And though not a language related item, my grandmother and her sisters - all born in Sweden and who became citizens here, had an interesting way of drinking coffee. It was always served in a cup and saucer. You would fill the cup so full, you would spill it if you tried to lift it to your mouth. They would tip the cup and let the coffee fall into the saucer, and would drink from that. They told me that's just how the Swedes drank their coffee. I never adjusted to that myself, but it's another one of those interesting things that make us all just a little different from each other. Thankfully I did learn how to make Swedish hotcakes. It's a tradition for us on Christmas eve morning to have Swedish hotcakes as our breakfast. Brings back great memories of my grandmother.

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I believe I have taken this quiz before and said that I did not have an accent and I'm likely from a big city like Atlanta. Well, yep, I'm from Atlanta.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I got Salt Lake City, Glendale Arizona or Phoenix. I did get a lot of similarities to back east and the south. Kind of funny since I have mostly lived in Utah my entire life but have also lived in Texas and Pennsylvania.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This thing pinned me to within 40 miles of my home in California twice! Pretty amazing stuff!!

10. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Well apparently with my english I live in New York, which is wrong because I live in Frankfurt am Main, Germany....stupid webpage ;)

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

http://nyti.ms/1jNxo9z
    Not sure if that link will show my results but it was pretty close.
    I decided to take it twice once the way I speak and once the way I talk when in FL. The second one it put the 3 points perfectly around where I live, the first one was close too but they threw in something way off like MO. Pretty impressive stuff, thanks for sharing withak!

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

It seems, like i´ve more places, where i could life in the USA.

Attached Files:

13. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388135311.516259.jpg no surprise I live in SoCal

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What if

Didn´t work on the livingroom computer..
    But what would you say if it said I´m
    from New Jersey?
    (there´s a southpark episode about
    that "Jersey thing"- are people from
    there "special" to you?)

Greetings to you all,

Be

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Aparently I'm from the west coast.....

Attached Files:

16. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

Dang, pretty close. ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388467179.502316.jpg

17. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388471653.376231.jpg i live in southern missouri

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

More interesting results. I seem to be noticing a pattern of speech among non-native English speakers that indicate that the style of English they are taught seems to have a distinct regional influence. For those in Europe, it appears the English they are taught is influenced by the East Coast. While, at least for BV, his style puts him over here with us on the West Coast - totally gnarly Doctor B!

It's also interesting to see the folks in the US are, for the most part, being placed very closely to their origin.

19. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I think many "I have no idea what this is" messed it up a bit for me :p

Okay, didn't manage to get the results to show here. And now they are gone for ever... If I don't just re-do the test :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  20. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Ok i have done it twice first time i'm from detroit or Jersy city second time detroit ir other citys in that area so. Not bad for a german. Who learnd oxford english at school an had a girlfriend from australia for some month.

PS: acctully i'll post this twice firsttime i havn't seen it maybe couse of my phone! So sorry if i doubble it! 1388484100015.jpg