What do you do in a powercut........?

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Dec 6, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

.........build a slingshot by candlelight of course!!

[​IMG]

Well, ok maybe not build but at least sand it a bit, it was definitely more interesting than listening to the bad weather for two hours last night!

I was given some 10mm exterior grade plyboard so I epoxyed a couple of sheets together and cut out a few shapes. This is my first time using plyboard and I think I may have made a few mistakes! Its also not the best quality it turns out so needed a few sawdust/epoxy repairs to voids.

The finish isnt what I would usually settle for (especially on the beech) and Im not really happy with the symmetry and rounding but this is going to be an everyday shooter so it doesnt matter :) Plus I learned a lot playing around with a new material (to me) and also watching the Rambone tutorial video so the next time I use plyboard it should be better!

Anyway, here it is tonight after two coats of RLO and two of Lord Sheratons Wood Balsalm
    [​IMG]

Banding up tonight for 9mm steel

Thanks

James

2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice work! Seems like time well spent!

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

All banded up :) Just need the 60mph winds, heavy rain and sub-zero temps to ease so I can shoot it!

[​IMG]

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

No Electricity

Yet a lot of power!

Pretty nice result for a
    candle-light dinner!

Well done!

Greetings to UK,

Be

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Looks good! One of my favorite frames.

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I like it, it looks like the chalace by Nathan

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, it is indeed a Chalice! I wanted one for a while so found the template and went to work :)

The ply came with a kind of rusty red finish (you can see the last of it around the top of the finger swell) which I sanded off and it showed a few cosmetic imperfections in the wood so thats probably why its there! I cant find the excellent ply you have Be, not in the UK anyway. May have to get some from the SSC Store......

Anyway, its solid and feels nice in the hand so for an everyday shooter, Im happy! :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice building, James! No power needed to have fun!

9. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Nice job and you will likely enjoy shooting that enough to want another version. I made one about a month ago out of a rock maple cutting board. I fooled around shooting it upright/static, upright/flip and both ways side shooting too (dislike calling it gansta..) worked well all around for me! I believe it is meant to be a flip shooter though. Is that correct?

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work. I like the chalice style. I've been wanting to make one - just another on a long list of builds I have yet to do. Maybe I need a power outage to get some more building done :)

11. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

can u post that template?

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I have it in PDF. PM me your email and Ill send it over :)

Ravensbull, Im not sure how its meant to be shot actually! Ive been shooting PFS for the past couple of months and tend to flip naturally so I will probably end up shooting it like that. If thats how its meant to be shot then so much the better!

13. cairomn

cairomn New Member

I get my plywood from this place
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baltic-Bi...dwork_ET&var=510111093989&hash=item4ac3556c5d
    It's good and consistent ply. Also bad weather the past few days don't you think I'm in Manchester but I go to school in west kirby in the wirral. Anyways thought it might help, from Cairo

14. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Dayhiker also designed the "Modified Flipper" if you happen to have seen that design. Both have the slightly outward canted forks and he is a flip shooter from my understanding. I just had to try shooting it every way I could think of to feel the dynamics of it with generous enough fork gap to say "if it fits-it ships!"

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thanks cairomn! Thats great! Yup, its been pretty bad. Im over in Durham, about 10 miles outside Newcastle. Not too bad today to be fair though.

RB, Ive not seen the modified flipper design. Ill have a little Google :)

(Oh, Im with you on the 'gangsta' thing too)

16. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Couple of people wanted to know what I thought of the design after I had shot it a bit so.....

Before I took it out I changed the pouch. I really liked the pouch the Rambone came with but the leather I have is quite flexible (I use offcuts from bird equipment) so I laminated and wet formed one.

Here it is before I trimmed up.

[​IMG]

Well, first impressions are good! Shot it in hammergrip and finger and thumb support upright, 45 degree canted and sideways. I was getting mild handslaps in hammer grip (Maybe due to small ammo? Using 9mm steel, have some 16mm marbles so may give them a go) but nice and accurate in support at 45 degrees.

Very comfortable frame and suits my usual finger/thumb suport and flip style of shooting. Definitely one I'd reccommend if you havent already tried it, Ill be making another in future if I find a suitable piece of 'nice' wood.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  17. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Cool bits Scoob! Just wondering, what type of adhesive did you use to laminate the leather for your pouch?

18. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Bostik Leather Adhesive. Ive used it on hoods and gloves before and it works really well because its flexible. Though to be honest I think any normal epoxy or superglue would work. I might laminate a couple using different glues and see how they go.

19. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks for the quick feedback! I've been wondering about what people have used for quite awhile. I have a bunch of upholstery leather scraps which are too thin and stretchy to use a single layer except with really light BB bands... I was thinking of trying contact cement, like used for laminating formica on counter tops. It dries rubbery/stretchy with a serious bond to itself.