What are some good websites to buy swords?

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by Billy02, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

I am looking for sword online websites, i have seen a friends collection of swords and it has given me some interest to research on my own. it will be kind of you if you can suggest a site or some swords for collection.

2. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

doing your own research doesn't necessarily mean asking others for where to buy it.

do you want to get some good fencing swords for actual HEMA, some historically accurate replicas or just some fanatsy crap wallhangers?

there's plenty of sources like cult of athena, covex ars, arma, lutel, albion....just google any of those ;)

3. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

hey billy02 probably wisest to state where you are really but in britain you could try battleorders.co.uk which is a shop in brighton but they have a massive selection of movie/replica/historical swords and theyl send you a free catalogue too, or at least they used too but technology is always moving on huh! btw check out the officially liscensed game of thrones replicas in the "valaryian steel" tab

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

Thank you, yes i am looking for replicas, as the vintage would be very expensive to afford at this starting point. for learning and properly developing my interest its best to start with replicas and gain knowledge.

5. Blankwalker

Blankwalker Active Member

I would go with a Bokken First or maybe some Shinais..for Partnerpractise ;-)

6. kindlebear

you still did not answer if you are into fencing/fighting or just collecting.

imho - to properly start in swords or historical weaponry in general, it is best to ~not~ buy anything at first but to invest in books and knowledge. then start with some proper replicas and work your way up to the real stuff.

7. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

only collection, as it looks cool to have sword collection, hanging on wall, table tops etc.
    so like i want to start with something so like if i have one sword and i see it everyday so i get the urge to buy another and so on.
    my friend started it with one now he has a lot.

8. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

A cautionary tale.
    When I was at school one of the pupil’s parents had a ceremonial military sword. I never saw it but the story goes the pupil was swishing it about and it went straight through his friends calf muscle. We had one in the house for a brief period. It suddenly disappeared shortly after we discovered it. It wasn’t sharp edged and the point was fairly round but balance it a few seconds point first on your hand and it wouldn’t take much more force to go in.

Edit:
    I’ve just read about sword related injuries. My word. I’m not surprised the sword disappeared and the boy that got stabbed in the leg: it could have turned out very differently.
    I feel a bit of a cissy now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  10. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

Even if it is just for display the blade is still 440 steel, which is otherwise known as “razor blade steel” for a reason since it is high grade carbon steel alloy and if there is ever an apocalyptic catastrophe where you need to arm up to survive then crack out the grinder and that blade is ready to go! 1045 steel would be better for this type of blade mind as it is a more battle ready type of steel, btw I doubt you’ve seen that blade in the 3 musketeers as it appears to be an “English swept hilt” rapier

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  11. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

Billy02 likes this.
  12. kindlebear

stob bragging about what you want to buy to compensate for...nevermind.

if you want to collect swords then buy some. be aware, that swords are something you do not wield just for fun and without any practise. Other than that...have fun and keep us updated about your collection :)

Billy02 likes this.
  13. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

I always wanted to start a sword collection when I was younger! The closest I got though was cutting a point onto 1 of those flat ended Indian blades I got for a fiver, I then spent an hour or so throwing it into my door. Well actually my landlords door! Living proof that young people should be disbarred from such things as the temptation is just too much

14. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

15. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

Sorry i didnt get the first part?
    Well start a collection loll i got nothing for now, but i found some long type rusty blades of my father from our junk. i dont know what era are they from. ill post a picture of it.

16. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

if you wanna get the rust off rub them down hard enough to create heat with aluminium foil, its gotta be aluminium mind not tin foil