well after many failures i decided to go more simple

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by knivesgotguns, Oct 14, 2013.

1. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

well the title says it all. simple... and i broke my favorite ss. but i learned how not to make a ss. lol.

Attached Files:

2. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Attached Files:

3. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Yes, that's why I stopped making boardcuts

4. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I would like to get away from it but all I have is a coping saw and a wood rasp. Lol

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

That's all you need really to make a solid pistol grip with a steel fork assembly...well, a screwdriver would help too :)

Attached Files:

6. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I saw these awhile ago i guess when you put them up. I like them. Are you shooting arrows with the one with a brush?

7. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thank you. Yes, I find that the shaving brush bristles work just as well as a commercial whisker biscuit...at a fraction of the price.

8. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi,
    this is why I am always warning to make boardcuts.
    Just use a core of multiplex and laminate the boards from both sides.
    You can find some good slingshots on every tree, use those forks, the grain goes in the right direction.
    Zwillie

9. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

You'll be much safer with multiplex.
    It is a kind of board cut too.

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Theres nothing wrong with boardcuts if done correctly, proper wood and craftsmanship go a very long way. Remember, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. I've made as many boardcuts as Cali has lunatics with no failures. Just know what your wood can withstand and test thoroughly before use. Can't really blame the wood if the design wasn't correct for the species and grain pattern.

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I completley agree with Dolomite on this one, the 7 P's are a must for every project.

I weight test all my slings in a vice, for me each fork tip needs to be able to hold twice as much weight as what the draw weight of the bands I'm going to use are. and I leave the weights on overnight to make sure.

you only need to have one close call to scare you into being that careful. the alternative would not be pleasant

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice! it's a pity the first one broke :(

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Don't throw the bone beauty in the fire just yet--It might be worth sawing down the middle and adding a core.

Even if you don't salvage it, such a unique sling should be made again.
    I hope you weren't hurt--looks like a mean break.

Catching a fork-end to the dentalwork fairly horrifies me. Most of my ss are metal until I get more confident and experienced with different wood constructions.

Make them out of multiple thinner pieces with the grain crossing and that oak should hold fast forever.

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Laminate 2 boards in cross patern of the grain. Everything else will be fine!
    Dolomite has said all that really matters!

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yep, some good suggestions from the masters here - as Dolomite pointed out, the design needs to be correct for the type of wood. That Moorhammer style with the very thin forks really needs to be cut from multiplex - as the Dr. pointed out, a cross-lamination will provide the strength you need to handle that design - either get some multiplex or make your own with some thin pieces of wood and some glue. Or go with Ruthie's advice and find some pieces of metal you can use to make something in her style. Lots of options. As long as there were no injuries, you got a nice learning experience. Good luck on the next one.

16. noah013

noah013 Member

what is laminated multiplex?

17. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I agree. My design was totally flawed. But I think it would have lasted. The reason it failed was I hit the frame with my pellet. I use mostly oak but ive been experimenting with pvc cores. I use 8 in pvc pipe about 10 in long and rip it down one side then take a heat gun and flatten it out.

18. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I didnt get hurt. my dumb a** hit the frame with the pellet so it broke on the release. I was going to keep the frame just as a lesson learned. The bone I get from pet stores. Its just a bleached cow shin bone that I cut down and sand flat.

19. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Oh but I did cut the heck out of my finger. Right through my finger nail. Ouch!!!

Attached Files:

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Depending on where you live, you may know it as plywood or plyboard. It's simply thin sheets of wood glued together with each layer at a 90-degree angle to the previous layer, making for a very strong piece of wood, perfect for making certain styles of slingshots.