Wax Moorhammer

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by kineticweaponry, Jul 8, 2013.

1. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I cast and carved this moorhammer today, can anyone guess what i am going to use it for?
    There will be a video on it soon!

[​IMG]

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

you want to make a sand mold and cast aluminium i'm afraid.

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Yes, 'lost wax casting' would be my guess as well! This is very interesting, can't wait to see how it turns out!

4. kineticweaponry

Yes, i will be doing lost wax casting.

I hope it turns out well, advice would be good please!

5. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Interesting thing, looks like good sized.

6. Make a fine deduction to structure and then a gypsum form around other casts to pour around from it candles!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  7. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

hY all :)

we talk about gypsum, plaster, cast? I made the mistake to cast lead when the gypsum was not dry enough, the water exhausted to steam and it was destroyed by a crack and little explosion. The liquid metal ran out, but didn´t hit me (good luck).

I think professionals use special sand instead of plaster but don´t know about exactly. Youtube has videos in making aluminium slingshots.

8. Gypsum form for wax candles!!! @G_Y

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I've never cast anything more complicated than lead ammo.

My only advice is that before the fire is lit do a dry run. Go through all the motions of the job, just like you would, only without deadly molten metal. Do this with a "worst case scenario" mindset and have equipment ahead of time in that event.

Your form looks great, hope it comes out good!

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I'm sort of leery of the lost wax process. I was melting some lead for a project and my brother threw a crayon in it. At the temper lead melts, wax explodes. Double up on your safety precautions.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

i'm thinking about try to make an aluminum slingshot with this process. What source of aluminum can be used?

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

We have had success with chunks of old transmission casing from an old Chevy. (This was just a simple billet in a steel food can to make a miniature piston out of).
    Its fun to bust up with the sledge hammer too:D

I think almost anything will do, ask your car nut friends to save you dead water pumps, etc. of cast aluminum.

Places that buy scrap metal can always sell you some too.

Edit: Actually, the stuff in your scrap pile is probably fancy aircraft alloys and stuff--maybe even better:cool:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  13. kineticweaponry

yes, the professionals use "green sand" it is sand mixed with a few other chemicals.

14. kineticweaponry

Thanks for the advice on all of the safety precautions, i will be sure to do a dry run along with other safety tests.

15. Peteyspine

Peteyspine New Member

Please, don't try to pour the molten alloy on the wax model. This isn't the way it works.
    Go to YouTube and search for "Fertigungstechnik Gießen". In that video every common casting process is described.

Markus

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

With the materials you have available, you may be better off trying a 'lost foam casting' out og Styrofoam. I have seen good (and safe) results from that technique. I am glad you were not hurt!

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I have lots of external fixator scrap from aluminum. Maybe I'll try to melt those. I was afraid to try, thinking it was an specific type of aluminum to melt.
    Thanks!