Wasting Time

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by WildBill, Nov 29, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Due to the US holiday I have the next three days off. So I figured that since I have a knife, some rasps and nothing else to do, I'll try for another natural slingshot. I went foraging in the woods near my flat and found this fork. It's Ash, and I like how the base has something like a natural palm swell. It should be fine for a hammer grip, OTT shooter. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

there is some spalting going on in that wood...could be nice when finished..will see how it turns out

3. WildBill

Aye. And since my cat's don't eat my homework (just the bands) I shouldn't have too many incidents.

-Wild Bill

4. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

now I am a lot interested in crafting I've read several times the word "spalted" (and didn't pay much attention) I cannot find it in the dictionary, what it is ? ... nice fork WildBill waiting to watch the outcome ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

5. WildBill

'Spalted', or 'Spalting', is what happens to wood when fungus get into it. It usually happens to old, dry wood but can sometimes happen to live wood as well. Spalting affects the wood in a number of ways- causing 'white legions', darkened grains and other such affects. Woods with a spalting can be quite beautiful... like a well ripened cheese.

-Wild Bill

6. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

thanks WildBill, lol I've suspected something as stains, now I know what and why ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. WildBill

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Yeah I had trouble finding it too Arturo.... then i switched to german language and bingo :D

wait..after I actually read WB post.. I am confused :D I guess its not german but really english ... :D

WIKI : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalting